Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Any electricians in here, need some help...

Old 05-25-2005, 03:48 PM
travisnd
VA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd
Default Any electricians in here, need some help...

I'm going to probably buy 3, 8 feet floursent light fixtures for my garage. I would mount them on the ceiling and would need to hook them up. I currently have a ceiling fan with light in the garage and need more light. the ceiling fan is hooked up to the switch on the wall, and I would want the flourscent lights hooked up to the switch instead of the ceiling fan if possible. I live in Chesapeake behind Greenbrier mall and will probably buy the lights and everything this weekend. Please let me know if anyone can help with this. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
eclpsed
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed
Default Re: Any electricians in here, need some help...

it's kinda easy.. make sure no power is going to the switch, (turn off breaker) put the lights up, and run the wire from the switch to the cloest light, then from that light to the next light, and to the last. kinda easy... if ur still iffy on it maybe someone could help ya out, good luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Way2Slo
In the Head

Way2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these parts

Its easy, If im not doing anything I can swing bye if ya like.. I live in G.B.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:15 PM
FumingSmoked
Registered Member

FumingSmoked is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the toughest part is mounting and that's easy. Make sure you wire them in parallel, not series. Also check your amp rating on the light and your circuit breaker, you might need to move up to at 15 amp breaker for the garage maybe even a 20.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
travisnd
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to stuff like this. I'm a new home owner and am willing to learn, just need someone to show me what the hell to do.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Way2Slo
In the Head

Way2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these parts

SENT PM EARLIER dont forget wire nuts!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:32 AM
GotB00stPsi
Banned

GotB00stPsi is an unknown quantity at this point

dont forget wire nuts.. Black wire is hot, white is your common (return) and the bare wire is ground. the fixtures should mount into sheetrock easily with some toggle bolts. i am a electrician by profession, and will help if needed just let me know
Old 05-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Way2Slo
In the Head

I was suppose to give him a hand tonight but he hasnt called yet! I have a anchor Kit to mount it... Im leaving my crib in about 30 mins so hopefully he gives me a cal before then!
Old 05-28-2005, 06:23 AM
slinkey

slinkey has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by eclpsed
it's kinda easy.. make sure no power is going to the switch, (turn off breaker) put the lights up, and run the wire from the switch to the cloest light, then from that light to the next light, and to the last. kinda easy... if ur still iffy on it maybe someone could help ya out, good luck!
its not as simple as this guy thinks.. yes the wire must be run to the switch. some switches have higher poer ratings than others. if your switch is weak, you could have an arc across the switch and you will burn down your house worst case... your lights each require a certain amount of power, and offer resistance as well. test your circuit and read the rating on the lights. then find out if your fan and lights are in series or parallel. that will make a difference. you can only put so many lights up before it will draw too much power. when that happens all you will have is a circuit braker that loves to trip. any questions with the math let me know.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:57 AM
travisnd
VA

Originally Posted by Way2Slo
I was suppose to give him a hand tonight but he hasnt called yet! I have a anchor Kit to mount it... Im leaving my crib in about 30 mins so hopefully he gives me a cal before then!
Sorry, we got home late, we went out to dinner after I got the lights and got home late. I do have the lights now, I bought 2 of them, with wire connectors and 50 ft of 12/2 wire.

Quick Reply: Any electricians in here, need some help...