Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 AM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4BangerCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Fack. Got a link? I just checked out the "tools" section of my bike's parts catalog on servicehonda but didnt see what it -- unless its #10:
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...1987&fveh=4170
Old 12-09-2010, 06:32 AM
quick26
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

number 10 is it. its a cheap pos but its a must have.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Thanks again. I just picked up a set of box wrenches (10mm-19mm).
Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 AM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Getting very very excited. Turns out the feeler gauge set I have is not small enough. Only goes down to .12mm and i need .08 and .05mm.

However, I just ordered two rear turn signals, a spark plug, and the required tool to remove the old one, and a new battery and brake light assembly. Woot.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

that spark plug is NOT metric...though you can use a metric one thats close usually. It's probably a 5/8. there's (generally) 3 sizes of spark plugs, you can buy a set of all 3 plug sockets at walmart for 5 bucks.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Its only $2.60 on the honda website. I gotta order a few more OEM parts so I'm going to just tack it on to the order. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

OK Well I think I MIGHT have gotten the valves adjusted correctly. To be honest, I am not entirely sure, but I did my best. THe intake valves were definitely more difficult, as they seemed to be deeper into the access hole than the exhaust ones. Additionally, the extreme flimsyness of the feeler gauge (.002in is hair-thin) made it hard to tell if there was "resistance" on the feeler gauge as there should be, or if I was just holding it poorly and dragging it across the surface of something.

To avoid this, I loosened the adj screws out a LOT, placed the feeler gauge where it shoudl be, tightened the adjuster screws all the way, and then backed off SLOWLY (1/8 of a turn at a time or so) until I could "move" the feeler gauge and feel some resistance, but still be able to move it. I used side-to-side movement since it maintained its rigidity a bit better than pushing in/out (since I had bent the straight feeler gauge, it just bends like bow when I push in/out and theres resistance).

If that process seems like I did something WRONG. Or there couldve been a better way, PLEASE TELL ME. I have the locknuts tightened so the adjuster screw won't move -- but the locknuts are NOT torqued down yet. I have the access covers loosely put back on to keep out anything in my living room.

Phew.

Additionally, I mentioned earlier that I managed to get the brake pedal off even though the spot for the allen wrench was coupletely rounded off and filled with petrified sand-turned-stone. This is probably the way that it was supposed to be done to begin with, and i more-than-likely just misunderstood everyones directions.

But I found this screw, which - when removed - allowed me to jiggle the brake pedal off of that peg.

Once off, I snaked it out between the frame and the crankcase. I only took this picture to serve as a record FOR MYSELF as to how this thing came out. Since I'll probably forget by the time I get it back on.

Am I ready to put the RHCC on? Also: wtfz0r is this little thing? Its the last thing I need to read up on in my clymer before I feel confident closing this RHCC up. Oh, and that kickstarter spring thing. But I dont think that'll be too difficult to figure out.

I see what this little assembly does: the peg in the center that backs up to the clutch basket goes through a hole in that long shaft coming down through the top of the cover. The outside portion of that shaft has a spring, which I'm assuming does something important. hahaha

apparently i need to read more.

Exciting.

P.S. I know you love my multi-colored bandaid. I have the cylinder head cover gasket to thank for that one. Fucking metal piece of shit dug deep into my pointer. Still won't close up. Just split open like a mini axe wound
Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 AM
quick26
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
that spark plug is NOT metric...though you can use a metric one thats close usually. It's probably a 5/8. there's (generally) 3 sizes of spark plugs, you can buy a set of all 3 plug sockets at walmart for 5 bucks.
no one said it was metric. you have to use the honda tool on that style head. a regular socket or a spark plug socket will not physically fit.

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
OK Well I think I MIGHT have gotten the valves adjusted correctly. To be honest, I am not entirely sure, but I did my best. THe intake valves were definitely more difficult, as they seemed to be deeper into the access hole than the exhaust ones. Additionally, the extreme flimsyness of the feeler gauge (.002in is hair-thin) made it hard to tell if there was "resistance" on the feeler gauge as there should be, or if I was just holding it poorly and dragging it across the surface of something.

To avoid this, I loosened the adj screws out a LOT, placed the feeler gauge where it shoudl be, tightened the adjuster screws all the way, and then backed off SLOWLY (1/8 of a turn at a time or so) until I could "move" the feeler gauge and feel some resistance, but still be able to move it. I used side-to-side movement since it maintained its rigidity a bit better than pushing in/out (since I had bent the straight feeler gauge, it just bends like bow when I push in/out and theres resistance).

If that process seems like I did something WRONG. Or there couldve been a better way, PLEASE TELL ME. I have the locknuts tightened so the adjuster screw won't move -- but the locknuts are NOT torqued down yet. I have the access covers loosely put back on to keep out anything in my living room.

Phew.

Am I ready to put the RHCC on? Also: wtfz0r is this little thing? Its the last thing I need to read up on in my clymer before I feel confident closing this RHCC up. Oh, and that kickstarter spring thing. But I dont think that'll be too difficult to figure out.

I see what this little assembly does: the peg in the center that backs up to the clutch basket goes through a hole in that long shaft coming down through the top of the cover. The outside portion of that shaft has a spring, which I'm assuming does something important. hahaha

apparently i need to read more.
sounds like you have a handle on the valve setting. you will know if its to loose. it will tap its ass off.

that piece is what disengages the clutch.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 AM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Waiting on some parts I ordered today: 2 oil seals from teh RHCC, the spark plug tool, a 10mm flange nut (lol, I felt like such a goob ordering this from Honda, but since I was there ordering parts anyways... :shrug: )

Next time I post pics its going to be like zomg omg :wowowowow:
Old 12-19-2010, 01:32 PM
4BangerCivic
E for Engourged.

Holiday Hiatus