Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

HANDGUN LAWS in va?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Kaedenky
Zoom Zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky
Default Re: HANDGUN LAWS in va?

Originally Posted by supranite90
i have a question that goes along with this...if you are in the military, are you allowed to legally carry concealed weapons w/ your military id?
On base you can do whatever your command tells you. Off base you have to follow the local state laws. Your military weapon training does count for your course if you have documentation.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Based on the statute and decisions rendered by the Supreme Court, a weapon is considered to be concealed at any time it is placed in a location as to be within reach of the person, without the person being required to make an overt act to retrieve such weapon, when such weapon is hidden from common observation. Placing a weapon under the seat, on the seat hidden from common observation, or at any location from which the weapon can readily be retrieved is considered to be concealed. A person carrying a weapon in the unlocked glove compartment of an automobile, if the person does not have a permit or otherwise fall within any statutory exemption, is a violation of § 18.2-308(A), unless some particular fact or circumstance renders the weapon inaccessible
I was told carrying my gun openly on my seat is ok by a gun shop and some people think I am crazy for this.

Is that information incorrect? You can carry on your seat as long as it is not covered in any way, right?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Kaedenky
Zoom Zoom

Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky Kaedenky

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
I was told carrying my gun openly on my seat is ok by a gun shop and some people think I am crazy for this.

Is that information incorrect? You can carry on your seat as long as it is not covered in any way, right?
If you are the ONLY person in the car and it is plainly visible. Be damn sure if you are pulled over that your hands are on that wheel and you move slowly.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by Kaedenky
If you are the ONLY person in the car and it is plainly visible. Be damn sure if you are pulled over that your hands are on that wheel and you move slowly.
That is what I thought...

I am sure they would be and I wouldn't move until I pointed it out and the officer told me what to do.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie

"Judge, he had the firearm under his seat." Get the CCW permit, don't be stupid. Open carry means your word against another. A jacket, even a holster can make the firearm "concealed".
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 AM
SpeedJunkie
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
"Judge, he had the firearm under his seat." Get the CCW permit, don't be stupid.
That would be a real dick move by a cop if I wasn't doing anything to provoke it, but you are right about just getting the permit.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
MitsuMaddness
Registered Member

MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness MitsuMaddness

It can be visible on your seat but not loaded. I was told that your discharge papers from the military are fine for getting a ccw. I just took a basic NRA handgun training and got my ccw with that.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
91tegrsjg
Black girls love me!

91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg

i beleive you can carry it as long as its not concealled out a permit. but dont hold me too it. and you can have it in your car but if you get pulled over you have to tell the officer you have it. that is with any gun
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
CivicWithASnail
SHARMOOTA!

CivicWithASnail has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
JUST READ THIS...
Old 01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
EFB16A
Registered Member

EFB16A is on a distinguished road

Concealed means hidden from common observation, but not requiring an overt action to retrieve it. Loudoun county law says you may not carry a loaded gun inside your car while on a highway. The way they state it is if the mags in the gun, its loaded. Might not be a bad idea to put it in the trunk anyways.

I must say I've been pulled over on my way to the range with 2 ar15s and an ak sitting on the floor, with a pile of loaded mags on the seat, and not much was said about it. Virginia is an open carry/shall issue state. You can legally open carry anywhere except where listed in the posts above, and on private property where it is prohibited. Expect to catch shit for it around here though. Don't know about any special requirements Loudoun has with fingerprinting and proof of residency and what not when applying for a CHP. Keep in mind it is a concealed HANDGUN permit, not a concealed WEAPONS permit. Blue ridge arsenal, which is where you are going, offers classes. Ask matt next time you go in there, or check the website. And call me next time you go amp.

Quick Reply: HANDGUN LAWS in va?