Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Who does Engine Blue printing?

Old 03-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Volkswagen
aus deutschland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen

im planning on spending 3K my stock compression is 7.8:1 believe it or not but i could take about 27psi if not 30. but then again we have well i have clutch issues and i dont think some components in my engine can take 28psi. i will be gettnig everything shot peened too.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Heat
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

sounds like you're getting ahead of yourself there dog
Old 03-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Volkswagen
aus deutschland

Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen

well i dont know too much about engine rebuilding but im in the process of learning all about it. that why i posted it. just needed someone to beat some iput into my head. by the way, heat, you dont think 7.8:1 cr pistons can take 30psi?
Old 03-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Heat
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

Originally posted by 91PGT2.2LTurbo
by the way, heat, you dont think 7.8:1 cr pistons can take 30psi?
well, that question there is a good example. let me explain.

30psi is pretty ambiguous
what you want to talk about is lb/hr or cfm.
30psi on a turbo that flows 800cfm is a whole different ball game than 30psi on a turbo that only flows 500.
You're talking a huge difference in airflow and in turn horsepower potential.
That in itself shows me that you still have a lot to learn which is why I said I think you're getting ahead of yourself.
I could go into a similar argument on compression but you get the idea.
Don't take it as an insult, because it's not. It's just advice from me to you. Ultimately its your car and your money so you do whatever you feel is best.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:53 PM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

turbo magazine had a good article on how to read compressor maps (i think this month?) look it up or borrow it from somebody.

getting your rods shotpeened is not the answer, especially when doing a high horsepower build up. even after shotpeening, the tensile strength of the rod isn't half as strong as a forged component from... lets say.. crower. like i said, the best way to learn what the best build up for your motor is is to find someone that has already done it and look at their setup. you'll find it is a lot more than just "lower compression is better" and "more psi is better" (as heat said). do some reading
Old 03-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Volkswagen
aus deutschland

sure as hell will...thanx alot guys for the input ;-) gotta start somewhere.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:54 PM
3siR/T

3siR/T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hey

also as for compression 8:1 or 8.5:1 is the best for turbos+ NOS don't wanna go to much higher because NOS+turbos don't like that

also as for 8.5:1 is what alot of guys run on 3000gt vr-4s when they have dual 18G plus a NOS shot works real well...
Old 03-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Volkswagen
aus deutschland

what about 7.8:1 ? are u saying thats no good? cause i will...and i mean WILL cut your throat. hahah just kidding
Old 03-18-2003, 07:19 PM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

extremely low compression isn't always the answer if you want high horsepower. 8.5:1 is a good start.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Mr.2
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

there are 2 philosiphies to this whole thing:
1. build a bullet proof engine
2. dont throw bullets at your engine

personally, i would do a bit of both but mostly option 2. if there is something your engine has that is notoriously weak then replace it. other than that, proper tuning and thermal management is key.

as far as 7.8:1 goes... dont built a low compression slug.

Quick Reply: Who does Engine Blue printing?