Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Advice on a Mini-Cooper

Old 05-08-2003 | 03:31 PM
LXative
<----BigBake

LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative

Originally posted by GreyGT-C
a better aftermarket??? are you kidding? John Cooper Works makes every damned part you can think of for that car. I was very impressed w/ the Cooper S i drove (this coming from a road course racer) , it handles awesome and was pretty damned quick. It could use a lil more HP to make it more fun on the track, and i am still considering getting one as a daily driver and leave the 7 parked except for track use.

My opinion?? Cooper S kicks ass
Rock on man, I am with you on that. The Mini-S is an impressive car for what it is.
Old 05-08-2003 | 03:42 PM
Boosted2003
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

i want hte mini cooper s with john cooper p[ackage i might be gettin one mid way thogurh collage but ill have to chagne my name to weeman
Old 05-08-2003 | 03:51 PM
98sr20ve
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Mini's are amazing on the autocrosses. I have been thinking about them for the last couple days. They just seems cool. I would like to drive one but the closest dealer is on the southside and that is 45 mins for me at least. Not a good thing.
Old 05-08-2003 | 04:15 PM
DeezUU
enya mouf

DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU

Originally posted by DoC-JoneS
..... I saw they have a special option for an Upgraded Cooper S that pushes the HP up to 200. It's a bit pricey, but i believe that that would have, pleanty of .....
It is made by BMW !! What'd ya expect !! I'd buy one if I could afford it and I had a bug up my ass , but a REAL mini would be the shiznit !! Old school is king !!
Old 05-08-2003 | 07:20 PM
90GTi
Registered Member

90GTi is an unknown quantity at this point

i have heard alot of people rave about the handling of the mini. in some reviews i have read people even saw it as a "true GTI" even though its not a vw. newer GTI's have lost their edge in the performance department. where-as the older GTI's were true enthusiast's(sp?) cars. i have even talked to a few people who have or are selling their new gti for the mini cooper. i had one follow me on an exit ramp by victory one day and suprisingly he was on my ass the whole way.....and i was really into it. if i needed a new car and had the money a mini cooper s is what i would buy.
Old 05-09-2003 | 10:31 AM
scironzts

scironzts is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ funny you say that because in an article i was reading today (in the Carlisle Custom Compact Nationals program), they said that the cooper is the first REAL "pocket rocket" since the MKII GTi's.

speaking of that article though....

they put an SVT Focus up against the Cooper S. they put them to work on a road course. drove each for 30 minutes straight, looking for the best lap time. the Cooper S was fine for the first 15 minutes, then it started to get pretty soft feeling. tires weren't grabbing as they were, brakes were getting softer, etc, etc. so they let it cool down for a few minutes, to give it one last bang... still didn't improve much. the SVT on the other hand held out all 30 minutes, never really gave up too much. after all was said and done, the SVT came out as the victor, but not by much. i was actually kinda shocked. when i first saw the article, i expected the S to win the matchup. hmm... go figure.
Old 05-09-2003 | 12:03 PM
L.Mini
gimme some tots

L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini L.Mini

Give it another year of production....both the Cooper and the S still have a few bugs to get worked out.

In other words....the S will spank the hell out of your SVT.
Old 05-09-2003 | 01:59 PM
scironzts

scironzts is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ well first off, i don't own no svt. so NYEH! and while they are "working the bugs" outta the S, they still have to get some bugs worked out of the SVT. trust me baby, Ford's got something in store for ya.
Old 05-09-2003 | 05:30 PM
DoC-JoneS
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

and it's called the RS
Old 05-11-2003 | 04:27 PM
Lt. Dan
Registered Member

Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan Lt. Dan

If you're looking into buying a Mini, I'd suggest going to a few Mini-specific forums first and reading about their reliability issues... I know three guys in this area that own Minis(two of them "S" models), and they are constantly in the shop for warranty work....

Dan

Quick Reply: Advice on a Mini-Cooper