Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Insurance and racing at the track

Old 08-19-2003 | 04:40 PM
Hybrid AWD
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

yeah fuck the strip... street racers 4 life
Old 08-19-2003 | 05:17 PM
Blasphemous
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

There should be an all encompassing "particpate at your our risk" waiver for everyone, not just the racers. It should be that particpants can't hold others liable for their actions of the results of others actions, i.e. sueing someone for hitting their car.
An Oldsmobile friend of mine got hit by another Pro Street car at about 150mph, but neither of them were "at fault" and his car was drove there... but not drove home. The other car crossed the line from losing control, but he said there was no way to make the other racer pay.
Old 08-19-2003 | 08:29 PM
Stillpushin
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

You said no stupid coments about not telling your insurance. If they are not going to cover it on normal insurance than why would you volunteer the information to them.
Old 08-19-2003 | 09:10 PM
JKim
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

new slogan...

"take it to the streets"
Old 08-19-2003 | 09:43 PM
Heat
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

Originally posted by Blasphemous
There should be an all encompassing "particpate at your our risk" waiver for everyone, not just the racers. It should be that particpants can't hold others liable for their actions of the results of others actions, i.e. sueing someone for hitting their car.
An Oldsmobile friend of mine got hit by another Pro Street car at about 150mph, but neither of them were "at fault" and his car was drove there... but not drove home. The other car crossed the line from losing control, but he said there was no way to make the other racer pay.
and

Originally posted by Stillpushin
You said no stupid coments about not telling your insurance. If they are not going to cover it on normal insurance than why would you volunteer the information to them.
Not that I'm trying to be an asshole but it's really frustrating when people don't stick to the subject matter.

aaron: Your quote is something entirely different than what I talked about earlier in this post.

Stillpushin: Are you asking me why am I volunteering information to my insurance company? If so, then I have no answer to that because I am not volunteering information to them.
Old 08-19-2003 | 10:16 PM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Insurance and racing at the track

Originally posted by Heat
Can anyone give me some information on this?

As I understand, insurance goes up substainially if a car is raced at a track in addition to daily driving.
There is no option to have just insurance on daily driving IF the car is occasionally raced at the track.
Please no stupid comments about how you do it and just don't tell your insurance company.

In addition, the waver signed by racers does not protect the racer themself from being sued.
Example: If Bob with his 15 second civic wrecks into Steve with his 15 second integra, steve's wife can sue bob. Steve's kids can sue bob.
If bob shoots a rod into the crowd and breaks Julie's nose, Julie can sue bob.

After learning this, it seems like street racing 'safely' is the best choice short of not racing at all.

Cops want you to race at the track, insurance companies don't want you to. Does anyone who goes to the track frequently with a car that is also driven on the street regularly have any useful input?
great points i've thought of this many times...

anyone want to start up a track insurance company? prolly good money to be had there... and would help people out..

i agree with your point of view
Old 08-20-2003 | 02:06 AM
Blasphemous
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by Heat
aaron: Your quote is something entirely different than what I talked about earlier in this post.
I missed the point. What they don't know can't hurt them.
Old 08-20-2003 | 09:25 PM
Banshee
Banned

Banshee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Insurance and racing at the track

Originally posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
anyone want to start up a track insurance company? prolly good money to be had there... and would help people out..
I agree. "US Racers Insurance Co." or something. I would be interested in starting a company if we had people who knew how to work it out. We could advertise it all the auto magazines for marketing, probably have a ton of clients if we could offer good pricing. We could all be rich by the time we're 25, BWUAHAHAHA!!!
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:51 AM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

then when someone wrecks and dies, be out of 2 million dollars! yay!

if youre dumb enough to run your car 110 mph down a single lane, you should be willing to pay for what happens.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:58 AM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by reuter
then when someone wrecks and dies, be out of 2 million dollars! yay!

if youre dumb enough to run your car 110 mph down a single lane, you should be willing to pay for what happens.
racer insurance wouldn't cover death or injury fool.. that is health/life insurange's job... racer insurance would just cover costs of repair/replacement if someone wrecked their car at the strip. and honestly accidents happen at the track so rarely that rates could be pretty affordable.

Quick Reply: Insurance and racing at the track