Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

JDM HiD questions

Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: JDM HiD questions

I know exactly what He's talking about.

On the HID version of the JDM integra headlights, there is a giant black box mounted to the housing that contains the HID ballast. They are a factory OEM honda part, not some cheap ass retrofit. See the attachements I uploaded.

OP, I believe I have a passenger side HID headlight housing with ballast still attached. If you want it, I'll let it go for cheap since I dont have my ITR anymore.

Solder the connections. Crimping them still allows moisture and over time the wiring expands and contracts with ehat, stretching the connection out and making it loose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	c5872fdb711eae3d54c5f4c7cb320c48.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	154784   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight%20setup%20top%20view.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	154785  

Last edited by BAN HAMMER; 11-02-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
phravaldad
Registered Member

phravaldad has disabled reputation

@DonkeyPunch: THANK YOU!! Finally, someone who understands what i'm talking about and knows what i have. I was beginning to think i wasn't going to find much in the way of help on this matter.

I appreciate the offer of the headlight, and i may keep it in mind if anything goes wrong, but i do have an extra. It took me almost 3 months, but i did find someone selling just the passenger side. That is the ballast that i currently have hooked up.

Thanks also for the recommendation of soldering the wires. That was my first thought when it started acting up again was that i had a loose connection. Is there a specific kind and/or gauge of wire that you recommend that i use? i just want to make sure that i don't have anymore problems anytime soon. The last ballast has lasted at least the last 2 years i've owned the car and the 4 years before that that my cousin owned it (and it wasn't even securely mounted anywhere in that time)

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
phravaldad
Registered Member

Oops. i should clarify, i have an extra passenger side headlight. I took the ballast from it to replace the old one that i believe went bad. So technically, i have a headlight assembly with a bad ballast, not really "extra".
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 PM
SCREECHO
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

16-14 AWG will work

taken from here a write up on how to wire up the headlights.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2195061
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
SCREECHO
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

Maybe I missed it, all your grounds are definitely good, secured etc.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Mirrorimg
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

Im still a bit confused on your application. Are you remotely mounting the ballast because you do not have enough room due to the ABS module?

If thats the case, maybe your wiring is the issue. Did you test the ballast by installing it normally (attached to the light) but not installed on the front end, so its free and the abs doesnt get in the way?
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 AM
PicovAndropov
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

P.m if you want help before you catch the car on fire due to improper wiring.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 AM
SCREECHO
Duct tape & Zip Ties

Originally Posted by Mirrorimg
Im still a bit confused on your application. Are you remotely mounting the ballast because you do not have enough room due to the ABS module?

If thats the case, maybe your wiring is the issue. Did you test the ballast by installing it normally (attached to the light) but not installed on the front end, so its free and the abs doesnt get in the way?
Definatley think I missed something now. When did he mention anything about moving the massive ballasts?

Last edited by SCREECHO; 11-03-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
phravaldad
Registered Member

@Screecho: Hey, thanks for the link. it will definitely come in handy.

As far as the grounds go, i am going to re-check that and all of the connections that i made last time when i changed it out before i do anything else.

And yes, i did have to move the ballast. To my knowledge, the ballast has never been mounted on the headlight like it's supposed to be. (i've had the car 2 years and my cousin had it for about 4 or 5 before that. he said it was like that when he bought it). It's been laying next to the ABS unit on top of the brake lines all this time. Long story short, i got a used ballast and went to a shop about getting it fixed properly (mounted on the headlight) They said they'd either have to relocate the ABS unit meaning new lines=lots of money, or i could just remotely mount it where it would be secure and safe from too much water. so we decided under the headlight behind the bumper on the crossmembers there.

As far as the wiring goes, all i did was just rewire it the exact way that it was before. i even re-used the same wires.

Last edited by phravaldad; 11-03-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 AM
phravaldad
Registered Member

@Mirrorimg: That is a great idea, after i check all of the connections and grounds, i will do that. in fact i probably should have done that in the first place. i still have the old ballast, maybe i could check it while i'm at it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: JDM HiD questions