Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

How to gain ownership of abandoned car in my yard?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Lay Zee H
NBHNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H
Default Re: How to gain ownership of abandoned car in my yard?

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
what year and what location?
You should steal it
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
PTAD1
Registered member

PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1 PTAD1

Originally Posted by Drpbme
BMW M3
This just got interesting, pics or it didn't happen!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

The DMV has a process you can follow specifically for the situation of taking over an abandoned vehicle. Go to the DMV and they'll give you the paperwork.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by sixcyl?
Gotta make that formula money? Lol
Originally Posted by Lay Zee H
You should steal it
every day im hustling
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Trunk Impaired
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by Drpbme
BMW M3
An E36 I hope. He'd be out of his mind to abandon any other generation.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:32 AM
1uzme
Registered Member

1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts

DMV abandoned vehicle process, you apply online and it sends a notice to the last registered owner. 30 days if no word the DMV will let you file for a title and registration, using the intent to title form. Go to the DMV website and type in AVP. It cost less that $50 to get started, the process takes about 2 months total I believe. Atleast that was how it was in 2010 when I did it.
I just tried to search the DMV website for the page but they have an all new website, and it doesnt work at all lol.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#abandoned.asp

If you dont do it the legal way the DMV can charge you with obtaining a title under false pretences and 2 other felonies. So make sure the property is yours and you meet all the requirements. Also, if you cant find any information online try to locate the DMV lawbook and call the DMV and visit before you try anything. I know this because I have a friend who is DMV law enforcement.

Last edited by 1uzme; 02-25-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM
Computer_Nerd
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

So you want to sell something that belongs to someone else?

Vote democrat. Seems to have worked the last 5 years.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 AM
PTAD1
Registered member

I say the easiest way to do this is to contact him and give him an opportunity to come get the car, but make sure he gives you rent before he has the car turned back over to him, even though it's a slim chance that would work. if you sell through DMV legal process, he may come back later and sue you, and after lawyer fees, you might as well have bought an M3 legally
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 AM
1uzme
Registered Member

1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts1uzme is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by PTAD1
I say the easiest way to do this is to contact him and give him an opportunity to come get the car, but make sure he gives you rent before he has the car turned back over to him, even though it's a slim chance that would work. if you sell through DMV legal process, he may come back later and sue you, and after lawyer fees, you might as well have bought an M3 legally
If you go through the DMV process and the car is on your property I doubt he will have much to sue you over especially if he still owes you rent and disappeared, basically everything he left on your property you're entitled to.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM
PTAD1
Registered member

Originally Posted by 1uzme
If you go through the DMV process and the car is on your property I doubt he will have much to sue you over especially if he still owes you rent and disappeared, basically everything he left on your property you're entitled to.
He doesn't have anything to sue for, but he still can, and OP would need a lawyer, even though he'll most likely win.

Quick Reply: How to gain ownership of abandoned car in my yard?