Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question for VW guys.....

Old 01-18-2003, 10:03 AM
euro sport
I wupped Batmans ass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

It's good to hear the VW luv even though our cars have problems every now and then.

It does seem that the 180hp 1.8T's and the new 24v VR6's are having some serious coilpack issues. I forget who makes the actual coilpack, but I hope they are trying to resolve the issue very soon. The 24v VR6's have separated coilpacks just like the 1.8T's, but for some reason... the older 1.8T's (150-170hp) are not having the same issues. I wonder what the differences are between the two?!?

I remember when the OBD2 12v VR6's had that infamous coilpack problem that would crack and collect moisture. That issue was easily remedied with some epoxy or JBWeld.

Anyways... don't worry too much about it. There are plenty of folks who are experiencing the same issue and I have faith that VAG will do something about it soon. As for Greenbrier... could you try to take your car to Checkerd Flag?
Old 01-18-2003, 10:17 AM
99slowlst
no love for hoes...

99slowlst

i had thought about getting a jetta 1.8t as a daily driver at one point...

but after hearing this, i think probably not.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:08 AM
callsdubs
common person

callsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to behold
Default colipack issues

your are not alone with this coilpack issue, there are so many problems with these right now that dealerships all over north america can't keep them on the shevles, it is a common problem for the newer 1.8t's more than anything........sorry to hear your bad news!

also they will only replace the bad one(s) so you will more than likely run into this again if another one decides to go bad....
Old 01-18-2003, 04:27 PM
JNasty
Registered Member

JNasty is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude I would definitely recommend a VW to anyone, after I bought my 337 I bought a 2003 Jetta 1.8T. Fun cars and built really well other than the coil packs obviously. You can pick up aftermarket ones and not have to worry about it, but fuck it its under warranty and I have a rental for free that I can beat on.
Also I live in hampton so I'm not about to try to get my car to checkered flag. Greenbriar have been great with their service so far, its just that the part isnat being produced fast enough, also Bremi make the coilpack, fuck 'em
Old 01-18-2003, 04:59 PM
callsdubs
common person

callsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to behold

i recommend VW's to everyone who is looking, I love both ours(vr6 gti + wifes' 1.8t)...and I don't deal with anyone but Greenbriar, checkered fag, well I don't have anything good to say about them.....i'll just keep it at that!
Old 01-18-2003, 05:24 PM
euro sport
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

Damn Ryan... now you got me all curious about CF?!? What happened? Did you have a bad experience with their service department?

I haven't had any experience with the Greenbrier service department. I only know Dave who works as a tech and Brandon who drives the cars around all day long.

As for sales... I will never ever ever ever buy (or recommend buying) from Greenbrier.... even though they generally have the best selection. Their prices suck and they are not very cool when it comes to negotiating.

Oh... and that fat guy who works at the parts counter doesn't know shit about the cars he sells parts for! WTF?!?!
Old 01-18-2003, 07:21 PM
callsdubs
common person

Chuck, it was back when I had the 2.slow, the service tech was an ass and he treated me like crap and I decided from then on not to deal with their sh*t....

I like Greenbriar for their service, Miranda is awesome and Dave is the only one who touches our cars.

As far as price when buying, it was reasonable and my main concern is service, when I need something done it happens, and if they can't do it they call me and let me know right away, not sitting on their asses like checkered flag did a long time ago!

My new friend is Mr. Bently who I read nightly now to handle all the things I tend to break when messing with the car!
Old 01-18-2003, 08:21 PM
euro sport
I wupped Batmans ass

I hear ya! I seriously haven't visited a dealership for service in a very long time. I just equip myself with various Bentley manuals, ETKA, and FINALLY an air compressor with some air tools that I purchased for a Christmas present to myself.

I remember when Dave used to work for Checkered Flag and always changed my oil when I had my ol' '98 Jetta GLX back in the day. I also remember a short scrawney little guy who used to be the master tech at CF. He was a prick! I wonder if that is the same guy?!?

Anyways... the current master tech (also named Dave) is very cool and very knowledgeable about VW's. Just ask Frank or Hassan. And believe it or not, Robert (the parts counter guy), actually knows his shit!
Old 01-18-2003, 09:14 PM
Way2Slo
In the Head

Way2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these partsWay2Slo is infamous around these parts

Oh another ???? i seen a guy the other day he had a Diesiel VW a new 1 and he said it got 80 mpg street 55 city that true?
Old 01-19-2003, 02:24 PM
G60ING
Corrado Butcher

G60ING is an unknown quantity at this point

80mpg is way more than realistic. the 42city and 49HW that they put on the stickers is about right and you can figure you can do a little better but not 80mpg. now in my dads insight I can manage 60mpg. Even 32 in the rado when its together long enough to use a gallon.

Yes the master tech at CF is a great guy and is open minded too Plus there are a bunch of enthusists that are working now at CF which works for us. But if you install something and it causes problems well then you've screwed yourself. If its a legit VW problem then they will take care of you

Yes there has been a problem with coil packs just work with VW and they'll take care of you untill its fixed.

Last edited by G60ING; 01-19-2003 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for VW guys.....