Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Getting DSMLINK :D

Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Getting DSMLINK :D

does the anti lag setup on it require the throttle plate to be held open some too? most of the ones i have seen (the LINK mainly) will control the idle somewhat (by cutting cylinders out to maintain lower RPM's) but the throttle plate is cracked about 25% so you have the airflow.

and antilag and stutterbox=teh tranny grenade.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
elementalwindx

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
Yes antilag works with any 5spd setup. Basically it will retard the timing to a pre-set value you determine (say for example mine is at 3* ATDC) causing the exhaust gases leaving to be hotter than normal, causing a great load on the turbo and spooling it right up. I build full boost right off the line. NLTS wont really matter much at all with your stock turbo as will antilag, again those features really begin to shine when the turbo in question is larger, aka 50trim or larger. I havent had much luck with the antilag during shifts portion, I just leave that feature turned off. Expect to do clutch upgrades however if you antilag and stutterbox.

this one guy who first let me play w/ his dsmlink setup on his 98 gst told me that its not a good idea to use anti-lag until you get a full 3" exhaust. thats why I questioned that. I'll be comin to VA soon for thanks giving, so if any of you feel the urge to wanna help me and show me how to use dsmlink, feel free to I'll be about 5min off 220 by exit 4W (i think? been a while since ive been home)

oh yea and thats the nick above ^^ (waves) lol
Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 PM
16g-95gsx
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea in order for antilag to kick in you have to have the throttle open, it kicks in at a certain rpm (mine is set to 4000) so the throttle must be open a good bit. But in addition the car must be in neutral (clutch in) and the rpms at the desired point. Within the 1500rpms between 4000 and 5500 for my stutterbox full boost is instantly built and you can hear the turbo spool up. In addition NLTS keeps the throttle plate open during shifting as well, you wont even hear the BOV go off and its a much smoother transition. The bigger turbos benefit greatly from this.

Well, I suppose I can see where he's coming from by saying it might hold in heat more, however I believe from what I remember they actually cut fuel instead of spark during stutterbox so I cant imagine that would be bad for the cat. But personally I dont see the reason why itd be wrong to use it even on a stock exhaust. Perhaps Dave or Tom could verify this for you.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:01 PM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

just don't let your foot slip off the clutch at all.. i did that one time, foot slipped a little for some reason i can't remember, just as i was about to launch it, so the slippage let the stutter turn off (after it had already built 8 lbs) sending me to revs in the 7k range before the clutch engaged.. only time i have ever had to let out of the throttle off the line, blew the tires off BAD and the car got really squirelly..
Old 11-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Spooln4
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Dsmlink is the shit, hands down. I'm glad you went this route, you won't regret it.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 AM
elementalwindx

Originally Posted by Spooln4
Dsmlink is the shit, hands down. I'm glad you went this route, you won't regret it.

yea so andrew, can we trade cars yet? :P jk. I'm thinking of getting the AVC-R next since I am FWD. or the full camber kit for my car (or hopfully both at the same time) if you know of any guys willing to sell they're avc-r when i get up to va for thanksgiving, feel free to tell them I'm willing to buy.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Spooln4
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll keep my eye open but I don't see to many people using the AFC-R's. I have never used or seen one. Are you worried about excessive wheel spin in 1st? Once you start modding, its almost inevitable to spin in fwd unless you have boost really capped off. I have a friend in VA beach with a highly modded GTI and he loses traction rolling in 3rd gear .
Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

What would the AVC-R have to do with being FWD?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Enigma

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Old 11-09-2004, 09:58 AM
elementalwindx

the avc-r will let me set a lower boost in first gear, higher in 2nd, then 3rd, etc...

I launch off the line at 8psi, i wont spin, I shift into 2nd at 15psi (my max, I cant spin 2nd+ at all) etc...

Quick Reply: Getting DSMLINK :D