Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

XJ Lift

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM
TRU
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: XJ Lift

Think I've decided on the Rusty's 4.5" kit with full leafs. Which trac bar of theirs do you have? I'm probably going to sub out for the HD front springs.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Benz0
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to chime in here since I've installed about a bazillion XJ/TJ and a few ZK lifts in the past...
For your question on 180 or 200# spring that isn't much of a difference but count the number of coils each on has. The more coils a spring has I've seen in the past they tend to keep their advertised lift but too many they tend become their own bumpstop :P
Progressive rates spring which RE used to sell are STILL on one of the XJ's I built a couple of years ago still in town and it's still at the same 6.5" I'm sure ALL springs are not always perfect and it depends on the vendor...I just don't like Rusty's period
;
Rusty's stuff is OK but not for lifts he has some nice accessories like tracbars, disco's, adj tracbars and protection but I've seen and heard horror stories over the years. His spring sag BAD
AAL's will limit your rear flex and sag as well your better off going full springs and please stay away from blocks
With both kits you're looking at ~4" of lift at the time it's installed which won't require adj uppers or lowers and the transfer dropdown will/should help with driveline vibes

If your budget allows go with the larger 5.5" plus because once you lift it you're going to want to go higher in the future ecause lets face it...lifted Jeeps are SEX.

You WILL have to install front anti sway bar links (hopefully quick disconnects)
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

i want more lift on mine but there's not much else i can do without doing a tonnnn more work. So glad i went 5.5-6" instead of the 4" i was considering.

you look into rough country yet?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
simplified
Full Access Member

simplified has disabled reputation

ive never had a prob with rustys.always been good to me.it really depends on what you plan on doing with this jeep and if its gonna be a daily street driven vehicle.the bigger it is the more of a pain in the ass it is to drive on the street.i have a 00 classic with a 3' rubi express kit on 31's that i drive all the time.very asphault friendly.but my 01 60th ann longarmed on 38's is a trailor whore and hates the street.budget matters alot too.as others mentioned anything over 3' and you start getting into sye kits,longer driveshafts, t-case drops,etc.nothing like a jeep though,trail rated bitch....
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
TRU
Registered Member

TRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond reputeTRU has a reputation beyond repute

the Rusty's 4.5" kit is what I want, money permitting. What are you guys doing fuel mileage wise with 3" and 4.5" lifts?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

highway cruisin @ 70 with the a/c on 33x12.50s and 5.5" i get about 20mpg.

city driving, about 12-13.

damn it i want your lightning. I put my bike up fs hoping i can move it and give you the jeep and $ maybe haha

Last edited by BeefCake; 04-19-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
simplified
Full Access Member

simplified has disabled reputation

i get about 19-20 on the highway and around 15 in the city with 31's and 3' lift. its a 2000 with 128k.ive never had one on any of my jeeps but ive installed a few and people seem to like the rough country lifts alot.i know its been mentioned.might wanna check into those.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM
TRU
Registered Member

Will do. The Jeep will be daily driven, and will be driven highways from NC to DC a couple times a year.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 PM
aquickmopar
Registered Member

aquickmopar has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TRU
What is it that your prefer with the IRO over Rusty's? Also, Looking at both 3" and 4.5" kits. Not sure which I want to do.
Iron rock parts are a whole lot beefier and more durable product. They go the extra mile to provide you with a much beter system that will last a lot longer and withstand what ever abuse you throw at it.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
aquickmopar
Registered Member

aquickmopar has disabled reputation

Now don't get me wrong rustys. Stuff is ok but. Iron rocks will last longer and is made from stronger materials.

Quick Reply: XJ Lift