Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Hello

Old 11-30-2002, 11:18 AM
GreyGT-C
Just a 1.3 Liter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome Tom . ....and for the record...WGI scares the shit outta me. I hate being in a blue *tunnel* which is all i could see outta my car when i was there.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:07 PM
5.0 RACER
OpenTrack Instructor

5.0 RACER is an unknown quantity at this point

I can think of worse things...like test flying aircraft to see if the repairs are done correctly....

---------------------------
Tom
Old 11-30-2002, 05:43 PM
roadRacer
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

At the first Shelby club national convention at WGI I think they pretty well wrote off 4 cars. 2 '93 Cobra R's back when they were brand new. The track is fun, but I have never liked running there.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:48 PM
LXative
<----BigBake

LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative LXative

Originally posted by 5.0 RACER
Chimney Hill
Rosemont & Holland
The car plate is "5.0 RACER" with a "FEAR THIS" sticker on the rear glass above an american flag.
Damn, I used to live in Chimney Hill also.....886 Sedley to be exact. Whereabouts do you live out that way? There are several Mustangs in that neighborhood........WHOA 50, red95stang, and some dude who lived a few doors down with a Mercury Capri and a blue fox convertible. Never saw your car......just wondering....
Old 11-30-2002, 06:13 PM
GreyGT-C
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

test flying the heli's is fun....besides....if something did go wrong......I would never know about it. Putting my car into that blue armco wall would haunt me forever though
Old 11-30-2002, 07:24 PM
5.0 RACER
OpenTrack Instructor

5.0 RACER is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice thing about open track is not having to go too fast. I respect the armco. but its still a great track to run. I think I have about 10 hlours on track there.
Not to say that you don't wreck at my events either, but we do try to keep it at a minimum....of course.

I live down the street from red93stang. the 86 stays in the garage most of the time. the 93 sits in the driveway with the tow van.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:26 AM
MisterTwoYou

MisterTwoYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WGI Events

Tom,

It was a surprise to see you post the pictures of me at the Glen!

The first year I went (2000), three cars were totaled in 5 incidents on the first of the two days! The track management almost kicked the whole organization off the track (no kidding, we got one hell of a lecture in an emergency drivers meeting by the track manager).

First, an RX-7 got a wheel on the grass, jerked the car back on the track and spun into the Armco. Then, a twin turbo Supra with lots of goodies added (and used exclusively at the drag strip up to that day) lost in in Turn 1 - just way too fast down the front straight. It left the track 2 feet shorted than it arrived. Next, a Mustang went out on totally worn out tires. I saw the impact, and had a lot of respect for those who put the styrofoam blocks around the track. Then, a BMW went out and lost a tire on the back straight. The driver later realized that as he went to check the torque on his lug nuts, he had the torque wrench set to loosen, not tighten the bolts. Oops. Lastly, a vette ejected most of the innerds of its engine.

In all cases, there were no injuries, but it was a black day.

In in the 2001 and 2002 events combined, there was one blown motor, but no contact with the walls, and very few spins. The moral of all this is that such track events are not racing, but driving schools. If you start at 7/10th and gradually make your way to 9/10 (and keep it there) you can still have an unbelievably great time. Two or three times I got to 10/10 (not intentionally), and decided I liked it better at 8 or 9/10th in my beloved car. And it is also very important to carefully check your hardware before every run. Considering the history, setting, and the excellent track conditions, I highy recommend giving Watkins Glen a try.

And yes, Tom I hope to get to Summit Point, VIR full course, and the Glen this year. I gave up a fall driving event to make it to the US Grand Prix at Indy in Sept. It was a good trade, I had a great weekend!

Hi Calvin, how are the Mustangs?