Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

auto tech schools

Old 10-06-2005, 05:05 PM
ScampaDawg87
JRT>JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ScampaDawg87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: auto tech schools

The people in the career center of my school told me that if I wanted to go the auto tech route, NOVA would be the best program. It's cheap, you work part time at a dealership while taking classes, so you're getting paid to get experience while on your way to becoming ase certified. Apparently by the time you're finished, you'll have made more money than the classes had cost, almost guaranteed you'll get offered a full time job there since they know you, and all the certifications shops want their employees to have.

I don't see why everyone is suggesting to go a 'real' route with college instead. It's not likely for grads to come out and get a job starting at 55k a year either. You may pay out of the ass for tools, but it's the same for college students paying off debt from student loans.

That being said, I'm a senior this year and haven't decided which route I'm going to go.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:14 AM
JSPITZ
Cyber Bully

JSPITZ can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by runnin9z
Nick dont give stupid advise like that, go to the PA campus tll the loudon conty campus opens then transfer.
well im not in a rush so I can wait thanks for the headsup though
Old 10-07-2005, 09:27 AM
JSPITZ
Cyber Bully

JSPITZ can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by Asleeper
I will second that comment. I used to think the same thing after high school "I'm going to be a mechanic and make 100K a year" Sure there are mechanics that do make that, but they are few and far between.

The amount of hours you work a week, the physical stress you exert on your body......back..knees. For most, it takes many years to make decent money. All the money you will spend on tools and certifications could be better spent on getting a college degree.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but don't expect to come out of any tech school making 100K.
well one thing I have a full time job working for the gov't and have a college education. I also have 7 years in the marines. I want to learn this for a hobby im not doing this for a job just the experience. Please make sure you have all the information before you coment like that. I do respect your opinion's thank you everyone for your input
Old 10-07-2005, 10:16 AM
outtatime703
Registered Member

outtatime703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScampaDawg87
The people in the career center of my school told me that if I wanted to go the auto tech route, NOVA would be the best program. It's cheap, you work part time at a dealership while taking classes, so you're getting paid to get experience while on your way to becoming ase certified. Apparently by the time you're finished, you'll have made more money than the classes had cost, almost guaranteed you'll get offered a full time job there since they know you, and all the certifications shops want their employees to have.

I don't see why everyone is suggesting to go a 'real' route with college instead. It's not likely for grads to come out and get a job starting at 55k a year either. You may pay out of the ass for tools, but it's the same for college students paying off debt from student loans.

That being said, I'm a senior this year and haven't decided which route I'm going to go.

Engineers (i.e. computer engineers, computer science, electrical engineers, etc) get paid $50 k+ as starting salary. If you don't get about $50k starting with a degree in engineering in the NOVA area then there's something wrong with you.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:56 PM
slosatty
Registered Member

slosatty has disabled reputation

GO TO NOVA! the auto program at the manassas campus rocks. And they WILL find you a job. A friend of mine in highschool went to uti, yeah he ended up in an exxon...i went to nova and went to work at a subaru dealership. he paid like some 26k i paid maby 5k. go to NOVA manassas
Old 10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
ScampaDawg87
JRT>JDM

ScampaDawg87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slosatty
GO TO NOVA! the auto program at the manassas campus rocks. And they WILL find you a job. A friend of mine in highschool went to uti, yeah he ended up in an exxon...i went to nova and went to work at a subaru dealership. he paid like some 26k i paid maby 5k. go to NOVA manassas
Yeah, Manassas is the one they told me to go to also. Your instructor's name was Gary, right? I heard he's got a dragster of his own.

How much are you making per year at the dealership? Did you have a choice of which dealership to work at while you were in NOVA? I'd really want to work for Toyota or some german car manufacturer like BMW, Porsche, etc.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:13 AM
slosatty
Registered Member

slosatty has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ScampaDawg87
Yeah, Manassas is the one they told me to go to also. Your instructor's name was Gary, right? I heard he's got a dragster of his own.

How much are you making per year at the dealership? Did you have a choice of which dealership to work at while you were in NOVA? I'd really want to work for Toyota or some german car manufacturer like BMW, Porsche, etc.

Actually Gary is my step-dad. And yeah we have a dragster and a camaro drag car.

If your in the program and dont have a job in the field (you work at bk for instance) the'll find u a job in the auto field. it would be hard for you to go to bmw or porsche b/c you have to be like accepted into there program. But i was making $15 a flat rate hour at the subaru dealership. thats low but thats b/c that was a small place, just recently i moved to carmax.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 PM
05RRevoVIII

05RRevoVIII has disabled reputation

i think that someone needs to tell "Dr. On Point" that to some poeple money isn't everything, they actually pursue a career because of their love for it, not because of the money
Old 10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
slowb20civic
VAdriven Sponsor

slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic

Originally Posted by TRU
wait a year or so and the UTi campus will be opened in loudon.
are the going to have autobody & collision @ the UTI in Loudon?

i sent away to UTI, but autobody shit is in Texas,
I was thinking of going to Wyo Tech in PA
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM
slowb20civic
VAdriven Sponsor

slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic slowb20civic

Originally Posted by slosatty
hows the Auotbody course @ NoVA??? I know the one offered by Fairfax County Adult ed. is straight bullshit

Quick Reply: auto tech schools