Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo question

Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
eeterp
WIKAP WIKAP PLBTTTTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to all
Default Re: turbo question

Originally Posted by CivicGSR00t
is the t3/t4oe turbo any good? i did some research and from what i read it seems alright.
-what do ya think about the JE pistons with the rings. and the rods.
the pistons have a +.20mm bore
-what is +.20mm bore in terms or cylinder size... someone told me it would be 1.8 and a half.. is that true..
my motor is a B18c1

thanx
look at your idiotic questions and then remember you decided to BUY FIRST, and ASK (research) SECOND. Thus, trial and error. You bought FUCKING pistons and don't even know how much to bore your cylinders! Thousands of morons graduate college every year. Thank you for reinforcing that fact.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

you guys post this stuff and don't know the whole story..

that compressor housing that is split in half is actually NOT made by ssautochrome, believe it or not, it is a copy of an ssautochrome turbo haha..

I think half of you need to do YOUR research before you tell someone else too! I have heard good and bad about ssautochrome turbo's

I am using an OBX manifold, braced turbo and wastegate, had it for a year now, no cracks..

The bottom line is this.. many tubular manifolds can and will most likely crack, unless its like 8ga or somethin, brace it properly and you should be fine..

their wastegates generally work pretty good..

turbo's are a hit and miss, give it a try, might as well. It's unlikely that it will "blow" and destroy your motor, whatever that is supposed to mean.. I would go over and torque everything down pretty good on the turbo, index(mark) the turbine shaft and compressor, then take off the nut(be careful not to bend the shaft), then retighten to around 18-20 inch lbs, making sure the marks line up..

good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Boost Happy
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Originally Posted by GaRn
you guys post this stuff and don't know the whole story..

that compressor housing that is split in half is actually NOT made by ssautochrome, believe it or not, it is a copy of an ssautochrome turbo haha..

I think half of you need to do YOUR research before you tell someone else too! I have heard good and bad about ssautochrome turbo's

I am using an OBX manifold, braced turbo and wastegate, had it for a year now, no cracks..

The bottom line is this.. many tubular manifolds can and will most likely crack, unless its like 8ga or somethin, brace it properly and you should be fine..

their wastegates generally work pretty good..

turbo's are a hit and miss, give it a try, might as well. It's unlikely that it will "blow" and destroy your motor, whatever that is supposed to mean.. I would go over and torque everything down pretty good on the turbo, index(mark) the turbine shaft and compressor, then take off the nut(be careful not to bend the shaft), then retighten to around 18-20 inch lbs, making sure the marks line up..

good luck!
Theres turbos are good.. I just finished pulling my turbo all apart to relpace the blow oil seal(my fault they blew) & the rest of the turbo all looked perfect for the milage & still hardly had any shaft play.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
GaRn
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 924drsleeper
Theres turbos are good.. I just finished pulling my turbo all apart to relpace the blow oil seal(my fault they blew) & the rest of the turbo all looked perfect for the milage & still hardly had any shaft play.
Can't beat firsthand experience!
Old 03-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Boost Happy
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Can't beat firsthand experience!
yep, so far its done me proud right now Im getting the compressor housing polished
Old 03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
ಠ__ಠ
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ

no turbo should be a hit or miss. you should be able to take it out of its box oil it, clock it and run it. having to go back and retighten bolts and make sure everything is good shows that it was never put together right in the first place - I have personally dealt with XSPower myself i turbo'd my first car with this kit and know that the manifolds will crack (not because its tubular but because it's not a quality part) and the turbo's.. well the one I ran started to fall apart under 300 miles, when i took it off it had serious amounts of shaft play and the walls of the compressor housings were all scored from the blades. So i will never buy or recommend a ebay kit becuase its not worth it when you could spend a little more to get quality parts.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
GaRn
Registered member

Originally Posted by marcusgnf
no turbo should be a hit or miss. you should be able to take it out of its box oil it, clock it and run it. having to go back and retighten bolts and make sure everything is good shows that it was never put together right in the first place - I have personally dealt with XSPower myself i turbo'd my first car with this kit and know that the manifolds will crack (not because its tubular but because it's not a quality part) and the turbo's.. well the one I ran started to fall apart under 300 miles, when i took it off it had serious amounts of shaft play and the walls of the compressor housings were all scored from the blades. So i will never buy or recommend a ebay kit becuase its not worth it when you could spend a little more to get quality parts.
I am just saying I have heard both good and bad things about it, the bad MAINLY from word of mouth from someone who has no experience with it..

It's always good to double check everything, with anything that you buy.. and considering the turbo is probably assembled in china who knows, it might be a good idea, don't you think?

The turbo could be assembled with cheap aluminum bearings(compared to brass), that is the only thing I could think of.. unless you starved it of oil? Turbo's are really pretty simple.

Their manifolds aren't terrible quality, actually, the welds are pretty decent, its just its rather thin tubing. OBX is very similar, and its pretty dang thin, but its braced, so no problems. Like I said, any tubular manifold can crack(yes even the big names too), and really, ANY manifold can crack..

Take the precautions and things work out pretty well
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Boost Happy
www.TeamDOHC.org

I am just saying I have heard both good and bad things about it, the bad MAINLY from word of mouth from someone who has no experience with it..

It's always good to double check everything, with anything that you buy.. and considering the turbo is probably assembled in china who knows, it might be a good idea, don't you think?

The turbo could be assembled with cheap aluminum bearings(compared to brass), that is the only thing I could think of.. unless you starved it of oil? Turbo's are really pretty simple.

Their manifolds aren't terrible quality, actually, the welds are pretty decent, its just its rather thin tubing. OBX is very similar, and its pretty dang thin, but its braced, so no problems. Like I said, any tubular manifold can crack(yes even the big names too), and really, ANY manifold can crack..

Take the precautions and things work out pretty well
My turbo had Brass bearings. he prolly starved of oil. No of the weld broke on my manifold.. actually the tubing cracked from the wieght of the wastegate.. I had the crack welded up & a small bracket made to surrport the wieght & no more problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:55 PM
GaRn
Registered member

Originally Posted by 924drsleeper
My turbo had Brass bearings. he prolly starved of oil. No of the weld broke on my manifold.. actually the tubing cracked from the wieght of the wastegate.. I had the crack welded up & a small bracket made to surrport the wieght & no more problems.

Gotcha, yea WG's aren't light, and when you we put em on buzzy 4 cylinders with all kinds of vibration, and not to mention the heat, stuff just breaks
Old 03-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Boost Happy
www.TeamDOHC.org

Gotcha, yea WG's aren't light, and when you we put em on buzzy 4 cylinders with all kinds of vibration, and not to mention the heat, stuff just breaks
yep. & when I have seen one broke, its been at the wastegate.. so when you get em if you hook it up with a tiny bracket from the 4 runner & waste gate flange & youll prolly never have a problem out the manifold

Quick Reply: turbo question