Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

240SX First Car...Should I go for SR20DET or No?

Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi
Default Re: 240SX First Car...Should I go for SR20DET or No?

Idk Sr20s pull a premium
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Yep4doors
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi
Idk Sr20s pull a premium
But a week before race wars?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
POS DSM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

he might have to overnight some parts from japan
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Archer
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Originally Posted by newguy777
Here are some more details,

I am a 23 year old college student. My budget is as high as $6000. The car is going to be my daily driver, but I want something that I can also have a little fun (learning to drift, drive well, etc.) in and maybe work on building a bit over the next few years. I don't really have any knowledge of cars, but I want to learn on this car.

So my main question is, all other things being equal, would it be better to buy a stock (ka24de), see if I am really about the [driving/tuning] life, and if I am, try to build it up myself (eventually doing the sr20det swap), or just find one that already has the swap?

From what my car friends tell me, price wise, I would be better off just buying one already swapped, but that comes with a larger initial investment, and I might find out that I really don't want to race/build my car, and look like a jackass with a built car who has no business with one.

Would appreciate anybody's thoughts or advice,
Thanks!
Realize that when you buy a modified car you are going to end up with someone else's clustfuck 99% of the time. Buy a nice original stock car and modify it to your liking. You will know exactly what is done to it and how it was done rather than trying to play catch up and fix the previous owners' mistakes after the fact.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
FLiPrayZin240sx
I H8 MY CAR

FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx FLiPrayZin240sx

If you dont know how to wrench, you have no business owning a swapped engine car. Specially not a an engine that could potentially be sitting in a junkyard for 20 yrs that was more than likely abused all its life. If you buy one with a swap in it, I'd be wary of picking up somebody else's headache/project.

Then, add to the fact that you could be buying a 20-25 yr old chassis (S13s), last thing you need is a project car while going to college.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Z33_Taxi
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Originally Posted by FLiPrayZin240sx
If you dont know how to wrench, you have no business owning a swapped engine car. Specially not a an engine that could potentially be sitting in a junkyard for 20 yrs that was more than likely abused all its life.
You and the mad scientist gotta rip apart the block, and replace the fried piston rings
Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Lay Zee H
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

Originally Posted by SlvrSpec
Chances are you'll "drift" once and then realize you can't keep doing it because you don't have the funds and will give it up, many have tried and only a few have succeeded.
I guarantee he'll do that bullshit drifting on a public road too.

What a faggot.

If you're on a "budget" then engines swaps and all that bullshit shouldn't even be considered. Buy a daily driver and save money for a project. Don't be some faggot who buys a car like that with pipedreams of some super mad tyte JDM car and yet never get past an intake and exhaust.

Stop watching the Fast and Furious. Shit ain't cheap, especially when your high mileage used car begins to start breaking...everywhere.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Harold_Fastwake
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

When I was in HS and college, I was huge in to motorsports. But I did the smart thing, I had a nice DD and got in to the camera game. I photographed cars/drifting/racing until I got out of college and had a decent job, then I bought a project car and have just about finished it up.

I got in to drifting in 2001, I photographed cars from '04-'11, now I have almost completed a drift car with everything that I wanted done to it. While still having a reliable DD for work. It has been 10 years since I have been behind the wheel of a drift car, this shit won't be pretty on my first day back out, but damn my car sure will be.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Kim Jong Illin'
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

Name:  rCbBB7c.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  44.6 KB
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
HerNameIsSway
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway

When I was in college, I sold my reliable daily to have money to do an unnecessary engine swap in my drift car. I got very lucky to get the drift car fixed to a point where I didnt need the daily back, but I wouldnt recommend anyone to risk that.

If you have a lot of money to spend, enough for two cars, first buy a reliable daily. That way you know you can hop in and go to wherever you need to be (job/school/girlfriend etc) no matter what.

With your remaining budget, get a project vehicle. At that point, you can do whatever you want. If you want to get drift experience, leave the car stock, dont get upgrades, dont get body mods, because you'll be spending much needed money on stuff you'll damage. You'll blow a shock seal and need to replace some parts. Your radiator may be rusty and leaking and need replacing. Work the drift kinks out and upgrade when you get better.

It is advised that you work from the inside out. Fix all mechanical issues, then if you have money left over, fix the body, get nicer wheels, etc. There's no point in dressing up a car that has a motor that doesnt run.

As for drifting with power, you'll have plenty to learn with stock power. I have been drifting with 100HP for 5 years and it has been a ton of fun. Now I'm at a point where I am going to upgrade power. I saved 5 years of engine upgrades and did spend very little money and time to keep the engine's reliability. A good motor is a stock motor.

It's more fun to build a car than to buy one built. You learn to improve the car yourself.

Quick Reply: 240SX First Car...Should I go for SR20DET or No?