Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Citium2012
Home, finally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012
Default Re: Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?

Buying cars from auction and selling them for average cost. LOTSA money in that. I dont do it anymore cuz DMV is just a pain in the ass. Which is why my car is so ugly.
-Spindrift187
Old 07-14-2004, 06:54 PM
zexpwrd4door
R E U P Gang

zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door zexpwrd4door

Like Arnell said spend your money wisely. You learn the hardway as did I. Oh well we are all gonna be young once....now I'm trying to inch my way back to the top....CASH ONLY!!! Debt sucks trust me
Old 07-14-2004, 07:10 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

i just save all my $ up and work my ass off, but then again i still live wiht my parents so that saves $. i pay for my car, my insurance, and all parts. i got a real hefty credit card bill now that i gotta try and figure out how to pay.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 PM
RatedV
Formerly Shinobi....

RatedV is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok heres my secret, witch if your into the lifestyle its no secret......

Know everyone, Dont make enimies make friends....Make sure you do as many non-returned favors as possible, it will finally come back to you.....Allways be willing to find someone else a good deal, remeber all the good deals you find even if they arnt for the type of car you drive.....Buy parts at U wrench it and sell them on Ebay for too much.......Hussle up whatever you can for sidework, and do all your own work........I've spent about 14K on a non running 240sx and if I had got someone to do the labor I would be well over 20 thousand dollars......Work your way up.......And i cant stress enough, KNOW EVERYONE.........Make it your buissness to know everyone....With no connections, you got shit......
Old 07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Decent job, no credit card debt, no kids, perfect driving record.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:32 PM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

i think half of the struggle is caused by pure laziness. people are so quick to open up a summit and just order shit out of it instead of bargain hunting. it doesnt hurt to buy a used set of headers, or maybe a used cold air intake... especially if youre just looking to get some extra power out of a motor. once you start to build a race car and push the limits of the motor, it doesnt hurt to have new parts where the motor needs them. but that doesnt stop you from fabricating some of your own parts. it costs like $300 or $400 for a alternator relocation bracket for my car. i bet it would take at most 4 hours of R&D and torch/welder time to make one and that is starting from scratch.

what really sucks about the average car enthusiast today is their lack of interest in learning how to make their car go fast. instead they just want to buy shit that makes their car go fast.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:10 PM
VT3C THS
Im slow

VT3C THS is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, i have bills manyof them, maybe not as much as you, but i have lots of bills, glad to say i have AWESOME credit. I no longer use credit cards(i only have had 1 and i dont use it now) I also do not have an atm card. These two cards atm/debit and a credit card make it way too easy to spend money. Can you think of stupid things that you spend your money on every week? fast food, tobacco products, alcohol, entertainment. Well cut back. If i take only 60 dollars a week and stick it away, say in a shoe box, as long as i DO NOT TOUCH it, and i do it EVERY week, i will be 29 and have over 30000 in a shoe box... now think if you took that money and put it into a seprate account where it was more difficult to get to, but does not have penalties. It would gain interest, and would be compounding!Also you want to establish an emergency fund. start at a goal of 1000 bucks. That way when say your transmission goes out, it will only be an inconviences versus a crisis. Heck if you cant drive how can you get to work to make money, to fix your car? You want to extend your goal after reaching the 1000 dollar mark. DO NOT TOUCH IT, use it for REAL emergencies, not for o i need clothes or man i gotta buy my daughter a prom dress. THOSE things you had plenty of notice on and are not emergencies. The BIGGEST mistake people make is trying to live up to everyone else...well everyone else is BROKE! They may not seem that way, but they are. DO NOT upgrade your lifestyle when you upgrade your pay! If you have been able to get by on say 1000 a month, then you get a raise and now make 2000, that doesnt mean you can afford a new car. If you currently own a newer car, that isnt paid off, get rid of it! You will have that car bill and a high insurance bill for something that is a liability not an assett. Meaning you are spending lots of moneyo n something that hasa false sense of value, and the bad thing is that the real value is dropping like crazy. Buy a used beater and use it for some time until you can pay for that car in CASH! If you cant buy something with cash(other than a home) then you cannot afford it. People dont understand the idea of buying something without going into debt. CREDIT IS FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GET INTO DEBT!

if you are serious about wanting to live a better life, then read this book,(TOTAL MONEY MAKEOVER----by DAVE RAMSEY) it is not a "how to book" written by some rich guy that inherited his money. It gives you ideas that work. Makes you think about things in a different way etc.

As quoted from his book "Live like no one else WILL, so later you can live like no one else CAN"

by the way i am 19 on saturday, i do not live with mommy and daddy i do not recieved shit from my parents such as many people, I pay almost 200 dollars a month in just car insurance, for 2 of my 3 vehicles, the 3rd i am almost done building an engine for. I pay 300( includes my cox internet bill) a month to live with my brother and sister in law. Then i drive from glouchester to poquoson every day for work, and i pay for my school, all my clothes toothpaste food etc. no freebies! Then i HAD a credit card bill but would pay off the 500 limit every two weeks. I also recently just got a cell phone, i held off until i could afford it even without a job. So that is onother 60 a month. I make on average 500 a week before taxes, but often time higher. I have no debt! I just recently paid for a 2500 dollar Dell laptop which i am typing this on now. And i am travelling a lot now, last month i went to new jersey philadelphia and pennsylvania for a fourwheeling event. I am going to new jersey for a Volkswagen event this weekend. But i am living within my budget and also can put money away, even with my bills! You must be patient and stong willed to keep from getting trapped in the "American Way" DEBT.... READ THAT BOOK!
Old 07-14-2004, 08:18 PM
shawn22
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

I recommend the book "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas J Stanley and William D Danko.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM
shawn22
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Oh, and I work at Pep Boys making $7.50 an hour. But my only bills are my loan payment ($180 a month), my insurance ($140 a month for 4 months, then off for two), and my cell phone ($65 a month). Then its gas which is usually $30 or so a WEEK when school starts, but its only $30 every couple weeks now since i dont go anywhere. I also gotta save for school, which is $970 this semester for tuition, not to mention books and supplies, but luckily my parents are gonna help me out and MAYBE even pay for it again once I show that im actually serious about sticking with my major this time.

Mainly, I have a good home and I dont get charged rent, I bring home 800-1000 a month, and I only have 400 in bills a month.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Drastic1
drive hard or walk

Drastic1 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's all about priority. for me its paying shit i can go to jail for then my car. i remember buying my car, i didn't really EAT but like twice a week for three months. after that i had to deal with insurance(200), cell phone(60), and cost of living (call it 150 a month). thats 410 a month making 8.25 an hour. granted i just graduated and live at home, if it's not live threatening, my peeps aint buying it. sacrfice for what you want and don't settle b/c "It's taking too long". Also RatedV said it, get your connections together!! help and look out when others need it and they'll do the same for you w/o even being asked. i know i've saved about 2500 in hooks alone. stay focused and it can be done

Quick Reply: Where do you get your money for the car lifestyle?