Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

ODR-SCCA October 4th Solo Event At Pungo

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM
importcraz1
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importcraz1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: ODR-SCCA October 4th Solo Event At Pungo

where is pungo not familiar with this area use to scca back in late 90's early 2000's
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
quick26
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

Originally Posted by importcraz1
where is pungo not familiar with this area use to scca back in late 90's early 2000's
vabeach. google pungo offroad or go to the tidewater sports car club site for directions. its not hard to find.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

TSCC doesn't have directions to Pungo, they race at ACU4

Pungo is at the old Pungo airfield in VA Beach. The entrance to the part used for motorsports (the old aircraft apron- presently the largest piece of concrete there) is off Princess Anne a few hundred yards north of Indian River Rd (and Pungo Offroad). The Coast Guard has some really tall antennas on the other side of the old airfield that you can see from pretty far away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...06856&t=h&z=17

It's pretty easy to get to. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for the entrance, though, it sneaks up on you!

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-02-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:04 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

Had fun today, great to see some new faces! Ended up being terrific weather for a pleasant change- no last minute tear-downs before the storm is nice. I'm a bit disappointed Steve Dasher and Jeff Rooney didn't make it, though, hope their circumstances weren't too dire...

I threw my fastest run up on Youtube if anyone's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGihl0yMWQ
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
J3sse

J3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the rough

well i popped my cherry and had a blast today!. I am certainly going back. I kept pushing the car harder and harder and laps times dropped every run as my balls got bigger. i need a lot more seat time and i really suck at the slalom 1st run of the day was a pitiful 55.116, run 4 was 47.918. they were timing the fun runs at the end which run 7 of the day ended up at 45.9453 (with a passenger). i feel pretty good since i was dropping at least a second each time, but i really have a long way to go.

last run of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-LPhAj7b8

oh and no cones or off course all day.. i guess i didn't push it as hard as i thought
Old 10-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Beach Cruiser
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

Great time today! Weather was perfect. I had a couple of 41 sec runs in me today, but that last turn just killed me. I needed to give it up more heading into that turn, but just couldn't do it. The car just wouldn't stick and washed out on me every time. Love the Pungo courses, nice job Greg.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

I know I left another second out there, too. Frustrating when I just can't pull it together. This whole season, my first run's consistently been my fastest and I just can't seem to fix it.
Originally Posted by J3sse
well i popped my cherry and had a blast today!. I am certainly going back. I kept pushing the car harder and harder and laps times dropped every run as my balls got bigger. i need a lot more seat time and i really suck at the slalom 1st run of the day was a pitiful 55.116, run 4 was 47.918. they were timing the fun runs at the end which run 7 of the day ended up at 45.9453 (with a passenger). i feel pretty good since i was dropping at least a second each time, but i really have a long way to go.

last run of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-LPhAj7b8

oh and no cones or off course all day.. i guess i didn't push it as hard as i thought
That's awesome for your first day out Slalom takes practice to perfect, but once you get the feel and the rythm, you should get consistently faster. You're doing it right if you keep bringing your time down with every time- get a feel for the limits of your car and practice looking ahead, and move on from there. You may need to adjust your tire pressures yet, too. Every little bit helps! You coming out to ACU4 on the 18th?

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-04-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM
J3sse

J3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sjfehr
You coming out to ACU4 on the 18th?
i am super new to this whole thing so i didn't even know there was an event then, but hell yea i will! can you link me some info?
Old 10-04-2009, 03:46 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

Tidewater Sports Car Club races at ACU4, at NAB Little Creek. It's probably the best autocross venue within a thousand miles and one of the best in the country. The courses tend to be bigger and faster. They'll open it to the public for registration in the next couple of days, I think. (There's almost always slots for walk-up registration as well, as long as you're on the TSCC access list or otherwise have base access.) It's a lot of the same people in both clubs, but there's usually about 3x more people at ACU4. Couple other Evos, too. They get 2-3 people on-course at once, so it goes pretty quick. Depending where you live, you might be interested in NASA and VMSC autocrosses up in Richmond, too.

Check out the autocross.us forums, too; the twisties forum here is nice, but there's a lot more discussion over there.

Last edited by sjfehr; 10-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
sjfehr
Registered member

Preliminary results were posted: http://www.odr-scca.org/index2.php?o...d=95&Itemid=29

Quick Reply: ODR-SCCA October 4th Solo Event At Pungo