Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

new to area and dont know any shops

Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 AM
MrKnives
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MrKnives has disabled reputation
Default Re: new to area and dont know any shops

What is this ford crap???
I thought we were talking about german engineered vehicles...

Last edited by MrKnives; 09-14-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

to the 1st Team techs: if you havent already, i recommend joining IATN. it is a wealth of knowledge if you want to participate.

www.iatn.net

Originally Posted by MrKnives

its a comparison. the DT365 (also known as the 6.0 powerstroke) has a VNT turbo much like the TDi's, but its rings are controlled by an oil pressure solenoid instead of the vac. actuator.

Originally Posted by VWDAVE88

you can install any parts ou like you are an aftermarket shop people dont expect factory parts and if the part doesnt come out of a VW box we cant use it unless the cust supplies it ill put on anything the cust brings to me
we are indy, yet we install mostly OE parts (at least i do, again, if there is an updated design or a better repair method, i will do it. relying on experience of myself and others is what determines my version of what is a good repair or not)

FC735 BTW, advance does not carry most of those parts. they are the maker of the ones that come in ya'lls grey boxes.

we try to nut and bolt everything we work on or at least i do people make mistakes its human nature and if you sit here and say you dont your a fool
but, flat rate has a very bad habit of showing up in a lot of techs work. if you can save five minutes on a job by not installing this one bolt, or leave some off cause it takes too much time to go to the parts dept and get it, its money out of your pocket. which is why i am absolutely against flat rate. i worked it for 7 years, and even though it taught a hell of a lot of time saving techniques, it is the epitome of why some shops are designated as hacks and rip off artists.

we do a base hourly salary with production incentive bonus, much nicer on the big labor intensive jobs. much better quality jobs result also. with less come backs. our target is less than .25% come back rate. so far....it has been achieved.

your right its cheaper to clean then replace but then they have to retool and restock the parts houses with rebuild kits and we just dont have that big of a problem to justify that the carbon build up rarely makes it to the turbo if the cust neglects it for a while thats thier baby
five bolts, an actuator, and the gaskets that are standard for replacement anyway. add in a center bearing kit with seals, and its not much more of an inventory (especially since there are only two part numbers that do most of the turbos if i recall.)

its much easier to have them sitting on the shelf waiting for parts turns than it is to have a high dollar turbo eating up your inventory dollars not making any money.

and yes i have installed the diesel geek panzer plate its a great design but like i said i cant sell them cust has to bring it to me and ask for it to be installed

that is one problem with not meeting and talking to your customers. you can recommend it to them, they buy it, and then you make money installing it!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
MrKnives
Registered Member

MrKnives has disabled reputation

Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by MrKnives
I thought we were talking about german engineered vehicles...

nah. the original post was about a nissan, but we have successfully thread jacked this like a mother fucker!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

VWDAVE88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i do talk to alot of my customers and some do ask for me specifically i recomend what is best for them not me cost and labor wise i treat every car as if it were my mothers so that is not an issue and being a tech at the dealer my hands are tied when it comes to outside the box repairs
ex since 80% of my work is warranty

and as for a turbo eating up inventory we dont stock them we dont stock anything that isnt a fast moving part for the most part and if vw is going to make a repair kit for hte turbos then they have to have a school to tech people to fix them and load up the depot's with kits it would inturn cost hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 AM
QUICKTA
Banned

QUICKTA is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like you have a problem with vw not a dealer, if you have not worked with anyone here I would not open your mouth and talk about hacks
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 AM
sidewaysfox
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fc735
that is one problem with not meeting and talking to your customers. you can recommend it to them, they buy it, and then you make money installing it!
effectively taking money away from the parts department of the "dealership" that you work for.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 AM
sidewaysfox
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

keep in mind he sells parts for hyundai
and you can kiss my ass... buffalo wild wings for lunch today?
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
VWDAVE88
Banned

Originally Posted by sidewaysfox
and you can kiss my ass... buffalo wild wings for lunch today?
You buying??

Quick Reply: new to area and dont know any shops