Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

MMA gyms in Fredericksburg.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake
Default Re: MMA gyms in Fredericksburg.

I'm starting BJJ at GMU this spring semester. have a light load this final semester so figured i'd give it a shot. Instructor is George M. Allan. Tried searching and couldn't find any info on him. anyone ever heard of him?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM
96havt
Registered Member

96havt has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MMAFighter
HighPSI TSi Guy, that is a good question. The early days of the UFCs (UFC 1-3) demonstrated the most effective martial arts by matching up high level fighters of different backgrounds. This was back in 1993. It was clearly demonstrated that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was the most effective martial arts back then and it is today. The top MMA fighters in the UFC today (Anderson Silva, George St. Pierre, Frank Mir, BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, Noguierra, Lyoto Machida, Matt Serra) are black belts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There are no hidden ingredients to becoming a successful MMA fighter. A strong knowledge in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the key to MMA. There are other martial arts required to make a fighter complete which in my opinion is boxing/kickboxing and wrestling but BJJ is the key.
Anderson Silva is also a Taekwondo Black Belt
George St. Pierre is a Karate Black Belt
BJ Penn is a machine of his own creation
Lyoto Machida is a Karate Black Belt

These people are also well known for striking. You need to be a well rounded fighter to be at the top level in MMA. Long range, boxing range, clinch/takedown, and ground are all areas to master to be a great MMA fighter.

Not all are needed to defend yourself in REAL life.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
96havt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Knuckles
Perhaps someone would be willing to provide some insight on these questions for me...

Is Karate the same as Tae-Kwon-Do... Muay Thai the same as Kickboxing? Is there a difference between sport karate and traditional karate? Are there general principles, regardless of martial arts style, that must be learned in order to be an effective martial artist? Do MMA fighters practice the "pure" form of Thai Boxing or a modified version? Are Thai Boxing and Kickboxing the only striking styles that can be effective in MMA?

In terms of self defense, how feasable is it for a lady, child, or smaller man to utilize Muay Thai, karate, Tae-Kwon-Do, or Kickboxing styles of fighting against a much larger opponent?

Does the martial arts style make the fighter or does the Fighter make his/her style a Martial Art?
OK this is hard for some to understand. The key word is generally.

First Taekwondo, Tae Kwon Do, and Taekwon Do are all different. Generally Taekwondo (one word) is the most modern/advanced kicking method of fighting. The others generally are outdated or light/point type of sparring arts.

Karate has the same types of general differences in the intensity of fighting methods.

Muay Thai is a type of kickboxing. Thai fighting generally focuses on straight line and clinch fighting while something like a Holland style kickboxer gennerally fights from range with kicking.

Two of my instructors just got back from a 35 day training trip to Thailand. They had a great time and learned a little.

ABOVE ALL ELSE the fighter NOT THE STYLE determine the effectiveness of what happens in real life situations.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM
96havt
Registered Member

Once again guys, Pilsung Martial Arts offers a FREE week trial.

You can also see for yourself. My guys will bring great fights. Come and see Live, Jan 16th.

http://www.barbarianfightclub.com/2010fightcard.htm
Old 01-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Yellow_Mustang
Registered Member

Yellow_Mustang is a name known to allYellow_Mustang is a name known to allYellow_Mustang is a name known to allYellow_Mustang is a name known to allYellow_Mustang is a name known to allYellow_Mustang is a name known to all

Originally Posted by backtoarms
Any decent MMA gyms in the Fredericksburg area?
I've been looking into them and I've found two: The Lab and Pilsung. I'm looking at Pilsung. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on what exactly you are looking for...but I saw one person mention Gold Medal Grappling, if you are wanting to get into competition I highly recommend them. There are a few others in Woodbridge area you can check out. Trident Academy is good and if you want to work more on traditional grappling then I recommend Leo Dalla's school...he has a class at the Woodbridge Sports and Health club. Lastly if you are more interested in fitness with the side of learning to defend yourself I recommend LA Boxing. I train at the woodbridge/manassas one now and they are great. The MMA/BJJ instructor is a Dalla/Lloyd Irivin affiliated instructor, plus the leve of cardio you get from the boxing/kickboxing classes is great.

Thanks and good luck!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

whats the average cost of these classes? mine through mason isn't costing me anything since i have a ton of extra credits to waste for the semester.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 AM
Ganoe23
Registered Member

Ganoe23 has disabled reputation

Wow, just looked at the fight card for Barbarian Fight club. Someone want to explain how a fighter with 3 wins, two loses and a fighter with 3 wins and 6 loses fight for a title?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Samuels
Registered Member

Samuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these partsSamuels is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Ganoe23
Wow, just looked at the fight card for Barbarian Fight club. Someone want to explain how a fighter with 3 wins, two loses and a fighter with 3 wins and 6 loses fight for a title?
Because most nonprofessional fighters if they are any good move on to pro after just a few fights so they can get paid cash to fight. The guy who won the 145lb belt, fights for blackman MMA but moved on to pro he is one of the losses on Daniel the 3-2 fighter.. Casey i train with sometimes and i will say this don't let his record fool you he may be 3-6 but i believe he started out 0-5 not training anywhere doing his own thing and since his BJJ has gotten very good.. Should be a good fight i've rolled with both alittle and they matchup very well..
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 AM
MMAFighter
Registered Member

MMAFighter has disabled reputation

That is funny that Pilsung's "super star" lost to a guy that trains at the CAVE once every few months and lives in North Carolina. It seems like his guys can only beat independant guys (guys that don't train but think they are tough).

I guess having "good BJJ" is in the eyes of the beholder. It's like when Domino's claims to have New York Style Pizza. I guess for Fredericksburg it is close to New York Style Pizza. However, if you ever been to New York you would know better.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Knuckles
Registered Member

Knuckles has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MMAFighter
That is funny that Pilsung's "super star" lost to a guy that trains at the CAVE once every few months and lives in North Carolina. It seems like his guys can only beat independant guys (guys that don't train but think they are tough).

I guess having "good BJJ" is in the eyes of the beholder. It's like when Domino's claims to have New York Style Pizza. I guess for Fredericksburg it is close to New York Style Pizza. However, if you ever been to New York you would know better.
It sounds like you feel that the place you train has better Jujitsu and better fighters than Pilsung. Me and a few of my friends are still looking for a good place to train but are having minimal success.

Looking at all these posts, I have to agree that a school that has a "super star" that loses to a person that barely trains is suspect and might not be the best "MMA school" to go to. One of my friends went to the fights. Pilsung's Daniel Patrick got choked by a person whom evidently doesn't train much at all. He said Daniel's technique looked pathetic!!! So I'm thinking, Pilsung jujitsu (or standup fighting) can't be any good or am I mistaken...? We were going to contact and stop by their school for a intro class last week but decided not to based on their aweful showing at the fights.

MMAFighter... We still don't know if your school is any better!! If you are affiliated with any school, what are the records of your school's fighters? In what city is it located? Have any of your fighters ever faced Pilsung's fighters? Would any of them be willing to face them?

PILSUNG... Perhaps the Fro-bro's performance was a fluke... What are the records of your fighters? Have you offered to compete against all of the local MMA schools in Fredericksburg? In my mind, that is the only way you can support your claim of "the most winning school in Fredericksburg". This could refute the statement of fighting skilled fighters vs. independents. If MMAFighter is a part of a school, would any of your fighters be willing to face members of MMAFighter's school if they are willing? Are there any MMA schools that have active MMA fighters in the Fredericksburg/Spotsy area that you know that you or your fighters have not competed against. If there are any... why have you not faced them?

I'm getting kind of tired of all this back and fourth talk!!! I want to see if each school is willing to step up back all this crap people are saying. I want to find out which schools are the Real Deal since my friends and I don't want to waste our time and money at a crappy school!!! Right now me and my friends train in my basement... We are ready to train in a real school!!!

Quick Reply: MMA gyms in Fredericksburg.