Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Virginia lift laws?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:53 AM
jack_reed
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jack_reed has disabled reputation
Default Re: Virginia lift laws?

MY cherokee has a 7.5 inch lift and 37s running way past 34 inches in the front and idk in the rear but i've never gotten pulled.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
uhhryan
Registered Member

uhhryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jack_reed
MY cherokee has a 7.5 inch lift and 37s running way past 34 inches in the front and idk in the rear but i've never gotten pulled.
FINALLY! Someone who actually answered the question. Everyone is saying stuff about their full size trucks, I just want to know about a Cherokee. Where in VA are you? And how did you get passed on inspection?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by uhhryan
FINALLY! Someone who actually answered the question. Everyone is saying stuff about their full size trucks, I just want to know about a Cherokee. Where in VA are you? And how did you get passed on inspection?
We tried to explain it to you, but you didn't read between the lines. Think of your truck height like speeding, I'm not going to write someone for 61 in a 55 zone...kinda like I wouldn't write a truck that measures 32" when that vehicle is limited to 31" by the GVWR.

Now take your Jeep, if you are rolling around on 6.5" of lift, 38's, cut fenders and clearing the tires like a sky scraper..it's going to draw LE attention and probably get you some tickets. A little common sense goes so far...

No one here can say build this, build that and guarantee you will or won't get tickets...

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 09-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 PM
uhhryan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
We tried to explain it to you, but you didn't read between the lines. Think of your truck height like speeding, I'm not going to write someone for 61 in a 55 zone...kinda like I wouldn't write a truck that measures 32" when that vehicle is limited to 31" by the GVWR.

Now take your Jeep, if you are rolling around on 6.5" of lift, 38's, cut fenders and clearing the tires like a sky scraper..it's going to draw LE attention and probably get you some tickets. A little common sense goes so far...

No one here can say build this, build that and guarantee you will or won't get tickets...
I'm not reading between the lines, because they're not relevant. I want to know how these LIFTED CHEROKEE's get passed on INSPECTION. Not how they're doing while driving around, but how they pass the initial roadblock of getting a clear on their inspections. That's all. Are you going to a shop that's lenient, do you need to know someone to get signed off, are they strict? I'm not asking about the cops on the street, or full sized trucks. Cherokee's are marked as passenger cars on the title, not a truck.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
SMOKEYBEAR
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by uhhryan
I'm not reading between the lines, because they're not relevant. I want to know how these LIFTED CHEROKEE's get passed on INSPECTION. Not how they're doing while driving around, but how they pass the initial roadblock of getting a clear on their inspections. That's all. Are you going to a shop that's lenient, do you need to know someone to get signed off, are they strict? I'm not asking about the cops on the street, or full sized trucks. Cherokee's are marked as passenger cars on the title, not a truck.
Truck..car...it's all based on GVWR.

Your concern seems to be with the legality of a lifted vehicle, well...if they measure to high, it's illegal by the code I posted. Your initial post said nothing about inspection. Inspections are for safety equipment, not law compliance.

You need an inspection sticker?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

I've never been failed for height or lowness..they inspect it for safety...the inspector doesn't really care if its too high or low from my experience....just like a cracked windshield...it will pass inspection if not in drivers view but a cop can ticket you for it
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
uhhryan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
Truck..car...it's all based on GVWR.

Your concern seems to be with the legality of a lifted vehicle, well...if they measure to high, it's illegal by the code I posted. Your initial post said nothing about inspection. Inspections are for safety equipment, not law compliance.

You need an inspection sticker?
First off, I want to apologize for coming off as an asshole, if I have. I'm just thinking about getting a new Cherokee now that I live in VA, but I don't want to get it, lift it, then not be able to register it because it's lifted too high.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 PM
uhhryan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nftuatn
I've never been failed for height or lowness..they inspect it for safety...the inspector doesn't really care if its too high or low from my experience....just like a cracked windshield...it will pass inspection if not in drivers view but a cop can ticket you for it
Ah that helps. In Utah, ride height is part of safety. If it's lifted too much, you fail inspection, therefore you can't register your vehicle.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:38 AM
HerNameIsSway
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway

I have worked in a shop with inspection stations and I have seen trucks too large that have passed, and some have failed. I remember some asshole showing up with a full length Suburban needing some work done to it, I think it was a transmission issue and he gave it to us COMPLETELY wet and covered in mud. The mechanic wasnt happy at all with having to deal with that. He would also drive it on the street with all side doors completely removed and blasting subs in the back.

He brought the SUV back in with tires wayy too wide (doors were put back in) and my shop didnt allow him to pass inspection because his tires were too wide, plus he was an asshole, so that's the inspector's choice, you know? He went home and threw the stock wheels back on and brought it back and then it passed. At some point after that, he blew the motor, lol.

Anyways, if you need to, register the Jeep in stock form once you purchase it and have it inspected, then make the mods you want. If you get pulled over for your mods, make the necessary changes you need or ignore it, that's your choice. You are aware of what the law specifically states, and since you created a thread, this is now public so certain people may keep an eye on you.

Last edited by HerNameIsSway; 10-26-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 AM
91slomatic
Registered member

91slomatic has disabled reputation

I had a 4runner on 33s with 5 inches of lift and never got pulled. However since tires stuck out so much I had to install amber on brackets coming off the wheel well to pass state inspection and keep cops off me.

Quick Reply: Virginia lift laws?