Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Western Off Topic

I hate that "not in Roanoke" mentality...

There's more than most people realize there is to do in Roanoke.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:33 PM
DURHUR
Banned

DURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these partsDURHUR is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by boostedb1mmer
Probably not in Roanoke.

Anyone else going to Bimmerfest in MD next Saturday?
Want too, but i'll be in outter banks and my car is still 99.9% stock.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:10 PM
pieisgude
Registered Member

pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude pieisgude

Adam, not trying to be a dick, but could you provide me some examples of things to do here? Especially if you're under 21? Because i would really like to do something new. lol.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 AM
eyeGOsloo
Registered Member

eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo eyeGOsloo

Originally Posted by pieisgude
Adam, not trying to be a dick, but could you provide me some examples of things to do here? Especially if you're under 21? Because i would really like to do something new. lol.
This. If you are under 21 there really isn't much to do
Old 08-21-2012, 05:24 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

There are plenty of things to do.

I'll run through a short list, but IMO there's enough to do in our area that you don't have to repeat the same cycle 24/7..

-Bowling
-Movies
-GoKarts
-Plenty of 18+ events downtown
-New River Junction or James River
-Millions of scenic hikes
-Smith Mountain Lake
-GREAT live music in Roanoke! Not all of it is 18+, but I'd say at least half of them are.

When I started Island Attitude, that was part of the goal (to give people something positive to do)... but when you look at the big picture, it's about so much more than that! It's about changing the way people think in general. Just for example, we've done a number of river floats, cookouts, bowling nights, etc. As with anything else, it's whatever you make it. Roanoke isn't a bad place to live by any means. I think you can make anything fun if you approach it right the right state of mind.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM
thegoogleguy
Registered Member

thegoogleguy has disabled reputation

Doesn't everyone just go on bike rides and hikes during the day and drink at night here?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
boostedb1mmer
Registered Member

boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer boostedb1mmer

Originally Posted by thegoogleguy
Doesn't everyone just go on bike rides and hikes during the day and drink at night here?
On that note, here is a video of one of my coworkers destroying a bottle of Mad dog 20/20(and his liver)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIrw3He38e0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
4CED-FED
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

guys at the end of the day, the grass is not always greener on the other side. I lived in Charlotte, NC my entire senior year of high school, and in a place like that there seems like it would always have something new to do, but at the end of the day...that place got boring as hell too and actually had me saying, "I can't wait to move back home to Roanoke."

I love this place, and in my honest opinion...no matter where you live, the place is only as good as you make it. You can sit around saying this place is boring and sucks compared to every where else, or you can be positive and just get out and try to make differences in other people's lives, meet new people, and ultimately open the door to doing and trying new things. This has been the first summer that I've had plenty to do and have had a blast every single weekend. Being around new people, going to new places, and being spontaneous. This is the name of the game. I have Adam to thank for a lot of it!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

I'm too tired to post a long reply,but there really is a lot to do in this area that doesn't include hanging out with all the meatheads at a bar downtown drinking every weekend night,hitting on skanks and getting in fights(not that there's anything wrong with that).
We have so many great spots for outdoors activity.Hiking,biking,fishing,hunting,the zoo,the lake,skateparks,the Parkway,etc.
Many weekends there is some kind of activity downtown ranging from art shows to concerts and festivals.I love to just go walk around the area- there are a lot of cool things you'll discover(try a new restaurant,window shop in some of the unusual vendors).
We have a lot of various museums.The Taubman is incredible,Center In The Square,the Transportation Museum,and several others(I believe there's an African museum and some others I can't think of).
We have plenty of sports venues within a reasonable drive(less than two hours):Virginia Tech,UVA,Salem Red Sox,Shelor Speedways,VIR,Thunder Valley,Gold 'N' Silver.
The main thing that kind of sucks here is the car scene.There are some great people who have a passion for it though,and they help keep it alive.

Subscribe to the Roanoke Times;they constantly have a list of activities in the Extra section.I see things to do there on a weekly basis that I otherwise would have never known about.

I've been to a lot of places,and I can honestly say that I can't think of one place I'd rather live.There are some cities that are better in some respects,but they all lack at least something that I love here.

Last edited by TNGChris; 08-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 PM
OMG Z34
Registered member

OMG Z34 has disabled reputation

I completely agree with Kevin and Chris. For the longest time I bitched and moaned about Roanoke being so lame and boring. It's really not though. There's always some shit going on here on at least a small scale. I just kept waiting around for something fun to do to come to me. I learned you gotta get off your ass and go find something to do!

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic