Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

auto tech schools

Old 10-24-2005, 04:39 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: auto tech schools

Originally Posted by Dr. On Point
no offense man..... but you will not love a career turning wrenches. You might love running a shot, but Iguarantee turning wrenches will get old. I use to wrench and I never met one mechanic that loved their job that was over 30. Doing a physical labor job is awesome when you are young, but when you break your hand and are out of work for a month.... and you got 2 kids at home... and a nagging wife..... life is tough.

Money is not everyhting, but providing stability and safety to a family is.

and having a career in automotive repair makes you hate all cars, not just certain ones. and it makes you hate "auto enthusiasts" even more then lawyers.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:20 PM
KhanArtisT
Registered Member

KhanArtisT has disabled reputation

Damn that got me thinking, well the guy from UTI said I can work at a performance shop too, I just won't make nearly as much money as opposed to how much I'd make working at BMW. Anyone have ideas on how much performance shops make?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:10 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

9 out of 10 performance shops go under within three years due to lack of management and poor spending habits. if you truely want to get into the performance aspect....go to a WELL established shop and suck someone off for a chance to get into it. that will work better then any other method.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
NoRider
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ScampaDawg87
The people in the career center of my school told me that if I wanted to go the auto tech route, NOVA would be the best program. It's cheap, you work part time at a dealership while taking classes, so you're getting paid to get experience while on your way to becoming ase certified. Apparently by the time you're finished, you'll have made more money than the classes had cost, almost guaranteed you'll get offered a full time job there since they know you, and all the certifications shops want their employees to have.

I don't see why everyone is suggesting to go a 'real' route with college instead. It's not likely for grads to come out and get a job starting at 55k a year either. You may pay out of the ass for tools, but it's the same for college students paying off debt from student loans.

That being said, I'm a senior this year and haven't decided which route I'm going to go.
This guy knows what hes talking about UTI is good and all, but its going to be as much as going to an out of state college, do yourself a favor, and go to NOVA if u REALLY want to go that route, or just get a job that doesn't cap at a normal jobs starting salary.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:16 PM
ScampaDawg87
JRT>JDM

ScampaDawg87 is an unknown quantity at this point

To the people interested in Wyotech and UTI...

I looked into both schools last year, private messaging people on all sorts of forums that were going there or had gone there. From what I've gathered, the majority of the students in both schools feel it was a waste.

It's a lot of money to go either for one year in the first place, and many that were hired still started at the bottom of the chain in dealerships/independant shops when they got out. One guy even told me that upon telling his employer he went to Wyo, he was told he'd have to be RE-TRAINED. That's saying a LOT about what these schools mean to dealerships.

On the other hand, there were a few success storys, like getting into BMW's program. These people were, of course, at the top notch of their classes.

Everyone pretty much seemed to agree that it's what you make of the time that you're there. If you aren't going to attend class EVERY day, bust your ass learning, and trying your best to get into the special programs... it's not worth it.

Anyways... if you go, you'll most likely enjoy the school (Varies with each campus from what I've heard. Some towns despise UTI/Wyo students because of the reputation of the campus has for drinking etc) It's just a matter of whether you want to pay what they're asking.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 AM
KhanArtisT
Registered Member

KhanArtisT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ScampaDawg87
To the people interested in Wyotech and UTI...

I looked into both schools last year, private messaging people on all sorts of forums that were going there or had gone there. From what I've gathered, the majority of the students in both schools feel it was a waste.

It's a lot of money to go either for one year in the first place, and many that were hired still started at the bottom of the chain in dealerships/independant shops when they got out. One guy even told me that upon telling his employer he went to Wyo, he was told he'd have to be RE-TRAINED. That's saying a LOT about what these schools mean to dealerships.

On the other hand, there were a few success storys, like getting into BMW's program. These people were, of course, at the top notch of their classes.

Everyone pretty much seemed to agree that it's what you make of the time that you're there. If you aren't going to attend class EVERY day, bust your ass learning, and trying your best to get into the special programs... it's not worth it.

Anyways... if you go, you'll most likely enjoy the school (Varies with each campus from what I've heard. Some towns despise UTI/Wyo students because of the reputation of the campus has for drinking etc) It's just a matter of whether you want to pay what they're asking.
If the people you said you PMed felt it was a waste, why would we enjoy it?