Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR

Old 01-02-2010 | 07:16 PM
getfast
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast
Default Re: NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR

Originally Posted by marlinspike

Any place you recommend for buying numbers? Recommended tape for taping up lights?

Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of simple questions.
Cheapest easiest numbers = a roll of 1.5" blue masking tape from Home Depot or similar, put on the doors (or the windows if the car is blue.) Same stuff for the lights - although taping lights is optional. It leaves no residue, unlike many other types of tape.

No worries re simple q's, that's what I'm here for... if you have more, I'll be back online tomorrow, or try to answer from my phone later tonight.

Jon
Old 01-02-2010 | 07:21 PM
getfast
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I was actually going to ask "I guess my handgun needs to stay at home," but figured I already knew the answer to that is "yes."
As long as you are legally allowed to own it, we don't have a policy on that and neither does VIR as far as I know (VIR has a skeet range and several rifle/pistol ranges on premises.) There's a significant crossover of carpeople and gunpeople so it's not an unexpected or unrealistic question at all. Just make sure it's not in the car during your runs! That's something I would like to see unloaded and locked up in a non-competition vehicle or elsewhere, where there's no chance of it getting into the wrong hands. Can't say I haven't stashed a Glock or two for various participants over the years lol
Old 01-03-2010 | 05:57 AM
WheelPowerRacin
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by getfast
Can't say I haven't stashed a Glock or two for various participants over the years lol
I believe I was at an Auto-X once where after an episode of extreme "jackass-edry" (Spelling?) and subsequent refusal to leave the premisis by the perpertrator , you thought you going to have to retrieve one of those glocks, but he got the hint & everything worked out fine as usual.
Also, while waiting on the VMP callback, did you ever look at doing another paved oval Auto-X. I miss the Langley Auto-x's, it was a long drive but they were different and a lot of fun.

Last edited by WheelPowerRacin; 01-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2010 | 09:11 AM
getfast
at the track today?

Sure... just find us a paved oval that's nearby, safe to autoX on, and cheap to rent.
Old 01-03-2010 | 11:23 AM
WheelPowerRacin
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation

South Boston Speedway meet any of those criteria? I saw a motorcycle race there once utilizing both the banked track and infield. If bikes could run there safely I assume cars could also. Will do some checking. I take it RIR would be outside the budget?
Old 01-03-2010 | 11:38 AM
getfast
at the track today?

RIR makes VIR look cheap to rent

Tough sell to get people down to SoBo as it's near nothing. If it was cheap to rent - which I'm almost certain it isn't - it might be worth looking into. Although I'm much more interested in filling existing events at existing sites like, for instance, the 1.1 mile infield roadcourse not far from there...
Old 01-04-2010 | 07:38 AM
Cmqqn85
Track Whore

Cmqqn85 has disabled reputation

RIR would be sooo sweet!
Old 01-05-2010 | 12:11 PM
walker111
Registered Member

walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111 walker111

IIRC, the prices skyrocketed from last year? I couldve sworn it was 65 bucks....
Old 01-05-2010 | 12:32 PM
getfast
at the track today?

Last year was $70 mem /$80 non, plus $35 for the morning school.

This year is $80 mem / $90 non, plus $40 for the morning school

So it's 10 bucks more than last year if you just do the afternoon or 15 bucks more if you do the whole day. First price increase we've had since... 2006? despite constantly increasing costs.

Last edited by getfast; 01-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2010 | 12:45 PM
getfast
at the track today?

PS- one way to make it cheaper for next time is to get more people to come out. We base our entry fees on prior year car counts then adjust for increased site rental & insurance fees. From one year ago to now, car counts are down and costs are up. So entry fees needed to increase to make up the difference, luckily it was only $5 per "unit" (a unit is one autocross or circuitschool entry, half of a circuitcross entry, or 30min of enduro karting.) Units were $35 for I believe all of the 07-08-09 seasons so this is the first increase we've had in a while. Luckily you can get these units as cheap as $30ea if you buy in bulk, until the end of the month at https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1011 . Granted the units are mostly useful for karting, but that's great seat time per dollar. And at least we're trying to make things cheaper one way or another.

Also in general you can save money by joining NASA ($45/yr to get you out of the $10/event nonmember surcharge; $20 of that $45 goes toward the _GRM_ subscription that most of us would have anyway) and always pre-registering (which gets you another $10 discount per autocross. There is no day-of registration for a circuitcross, it's pre-reg only.)

Anyway, if we can get the car counts up, we can go back down on the entry fees. These events certainly don't need to make money, but they do need to break even... so long story short please tell your friends

Last edited by getfast; 01-05-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR