Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Block guard Causing Over heating?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Block guard Causing Over heating?

So if you don't install them properly, they don't work correctly? Interesting.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Audio
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So if you don't install them properly, they don't work correctly? Interesting.
So if you do not read my post correctly, you make false statements.. hmm

ARP tells you they will stretch after use and are recommended to be retorqued after say 500 miles. However I had them on a 20+psi turbo motor, therefore they stretched a little quicker.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Audio
So if you do not read my post correctly, you make false statements.. hmm

ARP tells you they will stretch after use and are recommended to be retorqued after say 500 miles. However I had them on a 20+psi turbo motor, therefore they stretched a little quicker.
That's great and all, and some of the reason for the re-torque is actually because of head gasket compression, and you didn't follow directions. You just said they were supposed to be re-torqued after 500 miles, and you abused them well before the re-torque interval. You clearly admitted to not re-torquing, and they failed. So again, you didn't install them properly, and they didn't work correctly. You could have re-torqued them before 500 miles, knowing that you were going to beat on the engine at 20+psi. They obviously lost their preload before you beat on the engine, which is why they stretched. If you damage a 200ksi head stud, chances are good that something hasn't been done properly.

I can't really see how the head studs are at fault at all.

Someone will probably say that Golden Eagle studs are better or whatever, but both the GE and ARP studs are made from 8740 chrome moly with almost identical post-heat treat UTS. So there isn't going to be any significant difference between the two brands, and they're both excellent products. Maybe people who use GE head studs pay better attention to the installation process, and many more people use ARP studs so there are a lot more people who don't follow proper procedure?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-29-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 AM
RandomTask
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
i see a bunch of big words but no actually real word stuff just theories, i can argue with u all day about this but I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT, block guards install correctly dont affect cooling at all, how bout i do a test i have a motor with a block guard in the at the shop ill do a test, same volume and pressure into the motor and ill monitor what comes out the thermostat, i bet i will see the exact same flow and volume

what does explaining how to install a block guard have to do with the flow of coolant???

*edit*
i reread your post again your saying installing a block guard some how increase cylinder temps? that doesnt make sense at all
Rephrase - cylinder wall temps. But w/e. You guys are missing my point. If you can say block guards don't have any effect on the cooling, then you should be able to run nothing but block gaurds all the way down the sleeve. The fact is they do have some effect. For what he's seeing on his motor, for the street, you're right, it wouldn't cause it. I've already admitted that.

Ramney - for the sake of the thread, you're right.

Also, heads lifting? @17psi? Biggest fail I've seen on ARP studs is the nuts walking off. Fairly certain this was related to improper installation.

Still think its in the tune/leaning out. OP, again, have you pulled your AFR?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 AM
mike nagz
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

That's great and all, and some of the reason for the re-torque is actually because of head gasket compression, and you didn't follow directions. You just said they were supposed to be re-torqued after 500 miles, and you abused them well before the re-torque interval. You clearly admitted to not re-torquing, and they failed. So again, you didn't install them properly, and they didn't work correctly. You could have re-torqued them before 500 miles, knowing that you were going to beat on the engine at 20+psi. They obviously lost their preload before you beat on the engine, which is why they stretched. If you damage a 200ksi head stud, chances are good that something hasn't been done properly.

I can't really see how the head studs are at fault at all.

Someone will probably say that Golden Eagle studs are better or whatever, but both the GE and ARP studs are made from 8740 chrome moly with almost identical post-heat treat UTS. So there isn't going to be any significant difference between the two brands, and they're both excellent products. Maybe people who use GE head studs pay better attention to the installation process, and many more people use ARP studs so there are a lot more people who don't follow proper procedure?
his car was done right. trust me i know.

i dont think arp as a company sucks, i think their headstuds are garbage after the first time they are retorqued.

if the company themselves says if you have taken the head off more than 2 times then you need to buy a new set, when there are companys like golden eagle who dont have that issue running around.... then you need to step your game up as a business. yes i use their rod bolts etc etc. but that doesnt change the fact that their headstuds are NOTORIOUS for stretching.... and the stretching being the cause of MANYYYYYY blown headgaksets, cracked sleeves etc etc.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 AM
RameyBuilt
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Yeah, I just kind of roll my eyes and ignore it.

at 55 pounds they do stretch, its not a bandwagon thing, its more like it happens on high hp race cars so it tricked down to the street world, im only referring to the b-series stuff, if u compare a arp to a golden eagle u can physical see the difference

and golden eagle and arp are not made of the same stuff or by the same people im got to find it again online, but we talked about this at pri a few weeks ago

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 12-30-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:12 AM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
at 55 pounds they do stretch, its not a bandwagon thing, its more like it happens on high hp race cars so it tricked down to the street world, im only referring to the b-series stuff, if u compare a arp to a golden eagle u can physical see the difference

and golden eagle and arp are not made of the same stuff or by the same people im got to find it again online, but we talked about this at pri a few weeks ago

ARP is 8740 steel and GE's are 4340 Steel

there was a thread not to long ago about this, and my friend Pete mentioned this and said to run the GE's because they were better and Fabrik8 jumps all over him about it, and Jarrod mentioned that he had no idea what he was talking about as well, until he proved them wrong.

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/show...ghlight=larger

Read it and have a laugh

Last edited by NasTHatch; 12-30-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Audio
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Fabrik8 will jump all over anybody with his "logic"

But its okay, he knows everything. So if someone goes wrong its operator error, never the product or company. I know I have seen the studs lift on more applications than Im sure he has ever used them for so its honestly whatever.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by Audio
Fabrik8 will jump all over anybody with his "logic"

But its okay, he knows everything. So if someone goes wrong its operator error, never the product or company. I know I have seen the studs lift on more applications than Im sure he has ever used them for so its honestly whatever.
+1

I speak on personal experience, not Honda-tech hearsay.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
ARP is 8740 steel and GE's are 4340 Steel
I took a quick look at GE's site last night and they have the studs listed as being 8740 or 8640, so that's what I went with. If they're 4340, fine, but I was just going off of their web site.

I just re-read that other thread (from January), and realized that everyone completely neglected the fact that the stud size has nothing to do with the unthreaded diameter. The only thing that matters is the thread root diameter, which is identical for both brands of studs. The ARP is roughly the same unthreaded diameter as the thread root diameter, and the GE has a larger unthreaded diameter than the thread root diameter. This means that the GE is larger than it has to be because it's always going to fail at the threaded portion of the stud. My point is that the unthreaded diameter doesn't matter at all. I don't know why I didn't see that before.

I guess my whole problem with this argument is the statistics of it. If you look at the amount of studs that ARP sells versus the amount of studs GE sells, ARP sells many, many times more. Say ARP sells 100000 studs, and has 1000 failures. GE sells 1000 studs, and has 10 failures. Does this mean that ARP has 100 times greater failure rate than GE? No, the failure rate is exactly the same. The number of failures is 100 times greater, because the number sold is 100 times greater.
Anyway, I don't really take "I've seen more ARP problems than anything else" (or statements like that) very seriously, because there are a lot of other factors to consider.

It just sounds like everyone is saying that ARP is crap, which they aren't. They may not make their best products for aftermarket Honda use (8740 isn't that great, but neither is 4340) but they're one of the best fastener companies in the world. I don't see Formula1 designers saying "boy, this ARP stuff is crap, let's get Golden Eagle stuff instead"...

I respect everyone's opinion, so don't think I'm attacking everyone. I'm not much of a 'take it at face value' type of person, as you've probably noticed. I'm also not right all the time, I'm just stubborn. I'm wrong a lot, but sometimes my arguments are more convincing. LOL...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-30-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Block guard Causing Over heating?