Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Western Off Topic

Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
BSeriesTurbo
Go Team Marlboro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo
Default Re: Western Off Topic

What does the job entail?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by IonRedline89
Sucks I have a full time job or I'd be interested always wanted to be around cars for a living lol,I was certified back in the day.
certified in what?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 PM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
What does the job entail?
It'll be installing accessories.Most are bolt-on,but I'd really like somebody with the ability to do light fabrication and just basically be able to make stuff work.It can range from installing applicaton-specific nerf bars on a truck that bolt on in 20 minutes,to working up and fabricating a hitch from scratch for a vehicle that may not have an aftermarket direct bolt-on part available,to just having the ability to modify parts that maybe don't quite fit correctly and make them work.

The fabrication skills aren't 100% required,but it'd be nice.Obviously,it's hard to find somebody who has direct experience in truck accessories(unless they formerly worked at one of the other local places,and that's probably not a good thing,haha),and it seems from my past experience that somebody who has the skills to perform general mechanic work on a variety of vehicles is more likely to have the ability to adapt to all the various things we do.It's impossible for me to teach somebody how to install the hundreds of different items we sell on all of the hundreds of different manufacturer/model/trim levels of trucks that are out there.It's much easier to have somebody who can actually figure things out on their own,and have the ability to work out any issues that come up along the way.

It'd be awesome to have you for the job,but I can't afford you

On another note,anybody ever used Monster.com to look at resumes?They let you do a search for your job requirements,but you have to pay to get the full results,including names and conact info.It seems like most of the limited results I got were duplicates/spam/bullshit.It's pretty expensive to get the full service,and I don't want to waste the money if it's junk.
Anybody have any other recommendations for methods to search out prospective employees?The newspaper is really expensive,and I always get the wrong people applying from that(they're either two years from retirement or just looking for applications to extend their unemployment).

Last edited by TNGChris; 03-13-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Yep4doors
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

I would like to take you up on this offer. I don't think I have the skills that you're looking for though.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM
The Nisbro
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

I'd love to take you up on the offer as well, but I have zero fabrication skills. I can do bolt ons and slight modifications to make parts fit all day long though.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM
IonRedline89
Registered Member

IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89

I was ase certified in high school lol did welding and autobody also made the roanoke times for a custom paint job in 11ththe grade.But that was 6years ago.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
dyoungin'
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

Originally Posted by TNGChris
The material we spray is called Ameraguard(Deezee is a line of accessories we sell).It is very similar to Line-X,but the method we use to apply the material is much more advanced than any of the local Line-X dealers I know of.We use a high pressure,high temperature application method- as far as I know all the Line-X dealers in Southwest VA are still using the low pressure equipment.We also have a UV protection system that keeps the material from fading with sun exposure.The biggest thing is that the guys we have doing the bedliners are really skilled at it.Our paint/bedliner manager has been spraying since we first started offering this service,and our other guy has been doing it over five years now.The prep and finishing obviously play a big role in the final product,and I can definitely say our guys are better than anybody.

All that being said,many people get scared away by the price.I think many customers who are wanting body parts sprayed have looked at the price of a couple cans of the DIY spray-can liner material.Obviously our price is a good bit higher than that,but the quality difference is astounding.If you can bring us the parts off the vehicle and prepped(clean,sanded if needed,etc)it lowers the price quite a bit.When you get a chance,come by if possible,as it's much easier to price it if we can see it.
Will do. Also, I had no idea you worked there! I've followed almost all of your threads, esp. your Honda following that accident @ VIR. I actually saw your vehicle at VIR once, but I had no idea what you look like, obviously. I was running in Brady's (from CCC) yellow Type R that day.

Anywho, I haven't picked up my new Xterra yet, but I will defintely swing by to get the estimate done and check out some examples of the work. I will also be removing the parts myself to bring, but as far as prep work- most of the parts are plastic, so I am not sure what all I could do to assist ahead of time.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by TNGChris
On another note,anybody ever used Monster.com to look at resumes?They let you do a search for your job requirements,but you have to pay to get the full results,including names and conact info.It seems like most of the limited results I got were duplicates/spam/bullshit.It's pretty expensive to get the full service,and I don't want to waste the money if it's junk.
Anybody have any other recommendations for methods to search out prospective employees?The newspaper is really expensive,and I always get the wrong people applying from that(they're either two years from retirement or just looking for applications to extend their unemployment).
I've never had any luck with Monster. I've had much better luck on Indeed.com
Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM
4CED-FED
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

Chris, can you PM me specifics on the job? My 42 year old brother is looking for a job and is recently go through a nasty divorce and needs to get back up on his feet. He has a lot of automotive experience, although fabricating may be a stretch at this point. But he has done a lot of work on cars over the years, including new and older cars such as muscle cars.

Hell, I am at a point where I am not 100% content with my job and I am thinking about looking elsewhere and looking for something that I would enjoy more. If you could PM me specifics, that would be great.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM
IonRedline89
Registered Member

IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89 IonRedline89

Anyone think I could get away with a catless downpipe.

Quick Reply: Western Off Topic