Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

H22 or GSR in a 95 EX coupe?

Old 10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
WqYn3
repping that gR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3 WqYn3
Default Re: H22 or GSR in a 95 EX coupe?

Originally Posted by (F-)

motors dont make cars fast.
h22 is a heavy pig.
i thought that the h22 only weighed like 40-50lbs more then a b18c?

ive seen a few h22 coupes and hatches i.e. da beast for one and his sheit was BEAST.

the coupe wasnt all that but it wasnt put together right.

id go for what 0psi said and do the h2b plate. =)
Old 10-14-2006, 09:15 PM
brown_ricer
AWD talon

brown_ricer has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by wayne
i thought that the h22 only weighed like 40-50lbs more then a b18c?
ive seen a few h22 coupes and hatches i.e. da beast for one and his sheit was BEAST.

the coupe wasnt all that but it wasnt put together right.

id go for what 0psi said and do the h2b plate. =)
thats what i said... its only 40 pounds more ( tranny and motor )... i want to do the h2b route but i dont have that kind of money... it seems like its going to be alot less to swap a GSR into the coupe with all the bolt ons and a tuner ... thanks for all the posts and opinions... keep em coming if u wish im not doing the swap for about a month or two so my opinion can be swayed by then haha...
Old 10-14-2006, 10:19 PM
DaLuded
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 0psi
The facts of the H22 swap are as follows.

The motor will out perform a B18c hands down. The transmission isn't geared properly. The driveline angles are horrible due to the aftermarket mount companies having minor ground and hood clearances to work with. Using an adapter plate and using a B series transmission will not only solve the issue of bad gearing but will give you the driveline angle of the B/D series engine in that chassis. You will have to sacrifice hood clearance though. Check out this website. http://www.quartersportsdrag.com/
That pretty much sums it up.... H22s for the most part have been bashed because of ignorance. Im not biased or anything though
Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 AM
S dot Camp
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brown_ricer
thats what i said... its only 40 pounds more ( tranny and motor )... i want to do the h2b route but i dont have that kind of money... it seems like its going to be alot less to swap a GSR into the coupe with all the bolt ons and a tuner ... thanks for all the posts and opinions... keep em coming if u wish im not doing the swap for about a month or two so my opinion can be swayed by then haha...
My major issue with the H2B conversion is the fact that you have to shave a portion of the block and oil pan to provide proper clearance for the B series intermediate shaft. I was seriosuly thinking about this conversion until I noticed you had to cut a portion of the block away. The GSR engine is more practical, yes. And with a few bolt ons and some tuning it will make you happy I am sure. You may want to look into a b18c5 if that is within your limit .
Old 10-15-2006, 01:05 PM
brown_ricer
AWD talon

My major issue with the H2B conversion is the fact that you have to shave a portion of the block and oil pan to provide proper clearance for the B series intermediate shaft. I was seriosuly thinking about this conversion until I noticed you had to cut a portion of the block away. The GSR engine is more practical, yes. And with a few bolt ons and some tuning it will make you happy I am sure. You may want to look into a b18c5 if that is within your limit .
yeah i dont like the sound of that... too much work and seems like u may risk the motors reliability if it isnt done right... b18c5...i looked into those... i think im gonna go for that.... tune it with intake, and bored throttle body and manifold to match... and clutch and flywheel... ne other options/boltons i should consider? thanks

Last edited by brown_ricer; 10-15-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 PM
S dot Camp
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Do you plan to leave the engine internally stock?
Old 10-15-2006, 01:57 PM
brown_ricer
AWD talon

Do you plan to leave the engine internally stock?
yeah, except i might do cams... nvm changed mind going with ITR... leaving that stock internally...

Last edited by brown_ricer; 10-15-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:49 PM
S dot Camp
Asshole Supreme

I would atleast try to get a JDM GSR engine then. The higher the compression the better in my opinion.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
brown_ricer
AWD talon

I would atleast try to get a JDM GSR engine then. The higher the compression the better in my opinion.
changed mind to ITR :P

Last edited by brown_ricer; 10-15-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:14 PM
mgcook
Registered Member

mgcook is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are going to be staying NA. then i'd say go with an H2B

you get the H22 HP and massive Torque, with the addition to a good Bseries tranny. and the fact you retain the bseries starter, linkage, mounts, and axles

the downside is, you have to grind the shit out of the back of the block and seal it up to make sure oil doesnt leak out of it, and you have to run a single pulley, and usually need to beat the shit out of the frame rail to get proper clearance with the pulley

or if you want to do ls/vtec down the road, i'd go with a B16 swap first and foremost...
1) you get a vtec head
2) you get the best geared tranny
3) you can swap in an ls/b20/gsr block and take advantage of the tranny/head

basically it boils down to what you want to do with the car...and since you are saying you want to stay NA, then i'd just stick with the Bseries stuff
1) its simple to do the swap and work on them
2) theres ALOT of aftermarket support for them
3) you dont have to deal with the gay FRM sleeves of the H22

Quick Reply: H22 or GSR in a 95 EX coupe?