Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Motorcycle Crash Debate!!

Old 11-30-2009 | 04:54 PM
PAWESOME
Registered Member

PAWESOME has disabled reputation
Arrow Motorcycle Crash Debate!!

Me and my step-dad are having a Debate, He has never rode a motorcycle nor crashed one. I have rode for about 4 years now, and crashed at low speed once.

He states that bikes are made for your safety... That if you crash, the bike is made to slide with you still attached to it. He thinks if you lay it down that you should not let go and you go where the bike goes...And that sliders are to save your knees while your sliding with your bike. and that they are made of aluminium and they will absorb the impact

I stated that If you lay a bike down you should try to part with it asap... Why would you hold on to a 400 lb bike that is about to collide with a car!? Doesn;t make sense... and they don't make any safety things for bikes other than clothing material... they make stabilizers and good tires for a bike.

Peopl please tell him what you would do or want to do if you crash aka lay down your bike when avoiding a collision... Thanks guys!

Last edited by PAWESOME; 11-30-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:03 PM
MA-HALF-E
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default Re: Motorcycle Crash Debate!!

I'd probably try to get the fuck away from the bike. If it hits something, I want to be as far away as possible to avoid having it flip onto me, or to avoid having any parts of me hurt from the impact of that body part onto the motorcycle, and then the impact of whatever the motorcycle ran into.
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:13 PM
kick rox
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

Wouldn't want that low side to turn into a high side either and you be on the launching end of that.

Ditch the bike.
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:13 PM
Audio
#Trendy

Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio Audio

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
I'd probably try to get the fuck away from the bike. If it hits something, I want to be as far away as possible to avoid having it flip onto me, or to avoid having any parts of me hurt from the impact of that body part onto the motorcycle, and then the impact of whatever the motorcycle ran into.
+1.
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:16 PM
PAWESOME
Registered Member

PAWESOME has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Audio
+1.
My point... He says that I want to be as close to that bike so it can shelter me from whatever I hit, and that if you let go that your going to topsy turny twisty all over the road and lose your skin and break lots of bones...
In my terms you get away from that bitch... separate yourself from a sudden impact!!! and if your wearing the proper clithing you won't be skinned up!?
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:20 PM
Scottyk6
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of

I heard something that some cruisers/tourers are decent about keeping you front being crushed when the bike falls over, but I don't think that you should try to stay with it though.

Definitely not the case for a sport bike or standard motorcycle though.
Audio
#Trendy

lets say...

You go down and you stay on the bike, what happens if it slams into a concrete wall with you between it and the wall, or a guard-rail?

No thanks. Im ditching
j4k3
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

I just either backflip off and jog it out, or jump on top and surf the bike until it stops.
Audio
#Trendy

or just dont fall.
Old 11-30-2009 | 05:22 PM
MA-HALF-E
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

I guess he could argue his point until the cows come home until you find some solid evidence showing him otherwise, and vice versa. I see what he's saying, but the bike is a weapon if you're not in control of it, and it wants to hurt you. Bad. I'd rather slide, roll, tumble away from the bike, but that's just me.

I'm not a crash expert by any means, been lucky enough to not lay it down yet, but I know I probably will. Try to wear the right gear to escape with as little body damage as possible.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Crash Debate!!