Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Initial tuning on stand alone

Old 04-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Flite
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Initial tuning on stand alone

Yeah, I'm learning this as I go. I got my car (2004 VW VR6 turbo) started today but am kind of blind on initial tuning settings. For any of you guys that do this regularly, what kind of timing do you run for decent starting and idling? I'm not asking to tune my car over the internet, just a couple base number to help me get started.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Initial tuning on stand alone

Many/most standalone ECU manufacturers have base maps available as a good starting point. You'll still have to do quite a bit of tuning, but the base maps will get you started and running..
You haven't said what ECU you're using..
Old 04-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Flite
HHIC

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Many/most standalone ECU manufacturers have base maps available as a good starting point. You'll still have to do quite a bit of tuning, but the base maps will get you started and running..
You haven't said what ECU you're using..

I'm using an ECU from 034EFI. It's called an ECU882. It's a version of some sort of fairly common ECU that is just modified by 034EFI to be more or less Audi/VW specific. It does come with a very rough base map that has indeed started the car. It's rough though and will only cold start the car. Once it's warm, it won't quite catch. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of timing settings I should be looking at to get a decently reliable cold and warm start. Right now I'm thinking of somewhere in the 20 degree range at an RPM just below my idle. I'm thinking that should help it fire off. IS that correct or am I heading in the wrong direction? I'm learning as I go...
Old 04-29-2006, 09:31 AM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Bleh, sounds fun....lol
Old 04-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Flite
HHIC

Originally Posted by MerF
Bleh, sounds fun....lol
It's not fun until you're finished. Actually doing all the work sucks, but seeing the finished product and knowing you did it yourself is pretty cool. The problem is, I've never even owned, driven, or helped tune a full on stand alone car, and here I am trying to do all three of those plus tune it with no real help and install it all. fun fun....
Old 04-29-2006, 12:52 PM
VB2NER
has a huge dong

VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER

Originally Posted by Flite
It's not fun until you're finished. Actually doing all the work sucks, but seeing the finished product and knowing you did it yourself is pretty cool. The problem is, I've never even owned, driven, or helped tune a full on stand alone car, and here I am trying to do all three of those plus tune it with no real help and install it all. fun fun....

nice to see someone put initiative toward their vehicle though.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Dick
Registered Member

Dick has disabled reputation

i run 15deg at idle if you don't have a wideband yet use a vaccum guage can get you close but use a wideband to tune
Old 04-29-2006, 09:53 PM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Originally Posted by Dick
i run 15deg at idle if you don't have a wideband yet use a vaccum guage can get you close but use a wideband to tune
Your avatar needs to go, it's NWS.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Flite
HHIC

Originally Posted by Dick
I have a WB O2 sensor/guage. Everything else you said doesn't make sence to me. What does a wideband have to do with setting timing, and how can a vacuum guage replace an O2 meter?

For what it's worth, I'm getting my strongest idle right around 18.5 degrees. I can't get it started very easy at all though so I'm assuming I should be using a different timing value down around 300rpms where my starter is turning the motor. Is this correct and what kind of timing are any of you guys using. (Once again, I don't intend for you to e-tune my car, just give me some rough starting numbers.)
Old 04-30-2006, 12:11 AM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

is it a FAST system?

It shouldn't be that difficult to make it start. 18.5* seems like a lot, though i'm not sure how much timing you guys usually run on those cars. Is your timing synchronized between the standalone and the vehicle itself?

Figuring out what ECU you actually have would be a good start.

Quick Reply: Initial tuning on stand alone