Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Where can I buy, and who can replace?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Justinm91
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justinm91 has disabled reputation
Default Fixing Honda Civic DX

Hello. Curious as to where I can buy a speedometer cable. Autozone and such doesn't seem to have any. I would also prefer not finding one at Pete's junkyard.. would like to have a new one that'll serve it's purpose better.

Also. Seems like this part's a bit more of a pain to install than all of the other parts so far (At least from what I've seen...) Is there anyone local who might be able to install it? Free preferred... I might be able to scrounge up something. Car's also not going anywhere. Tags are expired at the moment.

Last edited by Justinm91; 03-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 AM
crxmadness
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness
Default Re: Where can I buy, and who can replace?

make, model. year?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 AM
actionpaintball

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

If its the '92 civic in your profile:

The 1.6, 1.5 vtec, and 1.5 16valve have an electronic speedometer and takes about an hour to replace and is not hard. Also check the VSS (vehical speed sensor on the top of the transmission). Check plug, clean, replace as needed. or you actual speedometer head (cluster).

1. Locate the VSS in the top rear of the transmission. The Yellow/Blue wire is battery voltage key on and the Black wire is ground. The Yellow/White wire is a 5-volt reference voltage from the control units.

2. Plugged in, the VSS should pulse the 5 volts on the Yellow/White wire to ground when the VSS is turning. Using a scan tool, watch the signal on the Yellow/White wire. If the signal is good, check the signal at the speedometer head and verify the connection. If the connection and signal are correct, look at a faulty speedometer head.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Justinm91
Registered Member

Yeah, it's the '92 Honda Civic DX.

Thanks Paint, but I am SO lost. I'm a repair noob from hell. This is my first car. I'm doing the repairs myself, to learn, and save some bucks. I have almost NO scanners or anything like that. Could you also go into more detail? I have no idea what half of the things you said mean. Also, gonna need more description as far as getting to all of these things.. likely step by step...

(God I feel like a newb. >.< We all gotta start somewhere though, and since I couldn't afford the classes in HS, this car'll have to do.)

I'm still thinking it MIGHT be a fuse or something. None of the gages seem to be working.. Haven't driven it so can't tell with the gas gage.. heat one doesn't move... but then again, I was just revving the engine, not driving... I went through all of the fuses and they 'seemed' okay. Then again, I could be wrong.

Last edited by Justinm91; 03-05-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 AM
ODU_Lude
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Justinm91
Yeah, it's the '92 Honda Civic DX.

.. heat one doesn't move... but then again, I was just revving the engine, not driving... I went through all of the fuses and they 'seemed' okay. Then again, I could be wrong.
You haven't tried letting it sit for 15 mins? im sure idling at 15 mins is more than enough to warm up a car. that'll be a good indicator.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Justinm91
Registered Member

I'll try that then. Gonna go start it up and get back to ou guys. Also gonna turn the heat on. Maybe that'll help? Meh, likely not, but gonna do it anyways to make sure the heat works...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:02 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

buy a Haynes manual. Its one of the best things to learn with. you can find them at advance auto or pep boys.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 AM
SCREECHO
Duct tape & Zip Ties

SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO SCREECHO

fuck haynes. chiltons only. haynes skips steps on repair jobs.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Justinm91
Registered Member

Okay WTF is this? Decided to take pics of the meters, and noticed a button thing.

(Nevermind.. mileage reset... Duh.. still, that's at start up.. waiting 20, then taking another pic.)

Last edited by Justinm91; 03-05-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 AM
6spd z33
Registered Member

6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of6spd z33 has much to be proud of

is this ur first car? that should be to reset your tripometer

Quick Reply: Where can I buy, and who can replace?