Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Car dies, then comes back to life.......

Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM
HEISENBERG
БЛЯДЬ!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG
Default Car dies, then comes back to life.......

So this morning I was on my way home from work on my 93 EG Hatch (B series swapped)and I stepped on the gas coming out of the exit onto I64 and the car just bogged down. Tranny was fine because I could downshift and I could feel the clutch engage so I don't think it's the clutch. However, I would accelerate and the RPM's where pegged at 0 and as soon as I slowed down to pull over on the side of the road,the car died. Tried to start it right back up and the motor turned but that was about it. Waited a few minutes and gave it another try and it strugled to start like it had run out of gas but I had half a tank of gas. Waited another few minutes and it started right back up. It drove fine until I accelerated again and it did the same thing. Thinking it could be fuel related like pump or clogged filters. Any thoughts?

Thanks

UPDATE:
It ended up being the crankshaft position sensor and I had to replace the entire distributor. No problems so far and it runs like a champ.
Thanks to Pete at Unlimited Autocare.

Last edited by HEISENBERG; 11-27-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Nunyabidness
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness
Default Re: Car dies, then comes back to life.......

My guess is fuel pump. Just ran into a similar situation with a truck I just picked up. Took multiple tries to get it started, it would idle for a sec, then die-like 10 times. Checked EVERYthing that it could've been. Singled out the pump. Change it, bodda-bing. Sweet relief. They're cheap and you only have to pull the back seat. I'd throw one in it.

Last edited by Nunyabidness; 11-13-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
HEISENBERG
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG

I can hear the pump when I turn the key to acc. It's weird because it only happens when the engine is under higher rpm's.

Last edited by HEISENBERG; 11-13-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
specialblend154
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154

o2 sensor?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
HEISENBERG
БЛЯДЬ!

Originally Posted by specialblend154
o2 sensor?
Never had one so I doubt it.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Nunyabidness
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Originally Posted by ProPixel
I can hear the pump when I turn the key to acc. It's weird because it only happens when the engine it's under higher rpm's.
You could hear mine too. It would prime and return, but that was the problem. Weak pump, I guess. That's why we tried a million other things first. If you can duplicate it, get someone to start the car and when it tries to die, spray brakleen or something like that into it. If it stays running, you know it's that.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

start with the cheaper things first like your fuel filter, then if that doesn't fix it, bring it to me and pete and we will replace the pump in less than 20 mins.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Zombie car noooooooooo....
Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM
HEISENBERG
БЛЯДЬ!

In tank fuel filter?
Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Nunyabidness
Go cry to momma

Originally Posted by ProPixel
In tank fuel filter?
Yup. Underneath the back seat bottom. Take the backs off, then the seat bottom. Under there, follow the wires to a plate on top of the tank. Take all that stuff off/out, the sending unit with the pump will come out.

Last edited by Nunyabidness; 11-13-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Car dies, then comes back to life.......