Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

E85 is in Va Beach for the PUBLIC !!!

Old 03-14-2009 | 09:38 PM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: E85 is in Va Beach for the PUBLIC !!!

Originally Posted by nismo300zr2
soooo its cheaper per gallon.. but you need to burn more of it?
It's thicker persay.
It's cheaper than racegas and you can make racegas numbers with it.
Win-win for me.
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:52 PM
Chris G.
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

Originally Posted by marlinspike
If you guys are going to E85 without changing anything other than the tune...I hope you engine replacing rubber and plastic parts.
What are you talking about?
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:55 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Chris G.
What are you talking about?
The effect of ethanol on rubbers and plastics that werent made with e85 in mind.

People who say this is a relic of the old days don't know what they're talking about. Talk to the people who design the cars. Probably won't notice a difference 5 years later, but 10 or 15 and let's talk. Even the nationwide switch to E10 caused some hubub at GM when GM was moving to the 10 year warranty thing. If you want to hear some real angry people, talk to guys who boat in areas where the boat fuel has ethanol in it now.

Last edited by marlinspike; 03-14-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2009 | 09:58 PM
Chris G.
STi Round I

Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G. Chris G.

The effect of ethanol on rubbers and plastics that werent made with e85 in mind.
Im can almost guarantee that there is no difference in any plastic/rubber parts from a flex-fuel vehicle compared to a regular fuel vehicle.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:03 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Im can almost guarantee that there is no difference in any plastic/rubber parts from a flex-fuel vehicle compared to a regular fuel vehicle.
Not true. There have actually been fires because of this.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:05 PM
Chris G.
STi Round I

Not true. There have actually been fires because of this.
So what are you trying to say:

Gas is flammable, ethanol is flammable. Whats your point?
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:06 PM
stl2slw
version VI

stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw stl2slw

finally somewhere i can get e85 for my flex fuel tahoe
should i be able to get better fuel mileage with e85?
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:06 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

So what are you trying to say:

Gas is flammable, ethanol is flammable. Whats your point?
The fires are because the car springs a leak because the increased alcohol content causes the fuel to eat through a rubber hose.
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:09 PM
Chris G.
STi Round I

The fires are because the car springs a leak because the increased alcohol content causes the fuel to eat through a rubber hose.
There is up to 15% ethanol in most gas now. Doesnt seem to be a problem now. Im sure it may been a problem for a 1986 Ford Pinto, last time I checked there isnt alot of new vehicles using rubber hoses for fuel lines....Just my .02
Old 03-14-2009 | 10:10 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

There is up to 15% ethanol in most gas now. Doesnt seem to be a problem now. Im sure it may been a problem for a 1986 Ford Pinto, last time I checked there isnt alot of new vehicles using rubber hoses for fuel lines....Just my .02
It's bad for aluminum too. Actually, since 1985 just about every car has been made with e10 in mind, but even then e10 does reduce the life of the rubber parts (this is all rubber parts that come in contact with fuel at any point, not just those carrying fuel from the gas tank to the engine bay), just to within an acceptable range. E85 does MUCH more. Racecars that run on alcohol use different materials for parts that contact the fuel than those that run on gasoline for good reason.

Hell, during the past 2 years Chevron has spent $2 billion dollars trying to figure out how to make e10 not suck. Fun stuff this is. While the official line has been otherwise, I'm told internally GM had a shitstorm about warrantying engines for 10 years when e10 was to be used everywhere, and not just in the cornbelt.

Last edited by marlinspike; 03-14-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: E85 is in Va Beach for the PUBLIC !!!