Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

I got hit by a drunk driver...

Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default I got hit by a drunk driver...

I got hit by a drunk driver about an hour and a half ago and somehow I actually feel kind of bad about it. I was in traffic, a few cars ahead of me had started braking so I slow down a little bit and I'm watching this idiot behind me coming at me, I knew he was going to hit me--and sure enough, he did. I want to say he was doing 25-30mph and I was coming to a stop doing maybe 5mph or so. I throw my hazards on, unbuckle my seatbelt, and hop out of the car.. "WHAT THE FUCK? You hit my car!" I yelled as I inspected the damage to see what he had done to it.. He starts apologizing and I can tell right off the bat that he had been drinking. He got out by his door and obviously couldn't walk, so he got back in his car and turned his radio on.. LOL! I came around to his window and start asking him if he had been drinking, and he admitted he had.. and even had a beer can in his cupholder, and a few in the floorboard. He said he would make it right, and he'd pay me.. just pull off the road, and follow him to his house and he'd write me a check.. BEGGING me! I, trying to help out, suggested maybe he call a friend and see if someone sober wanted to act like they were driving. He said that wasn't necessary, just follow him to his house and he'd do anything I want so long as I didn't get him put in jail.

Well at that point I start questioning how much he had to drink and whether or not it was obvious.. I refused to just drive off and trust that he would pay me to have my car fixed, told him it wasn't anything personal but that he was drinking and driving and he has to be responsible for fucking my car up.. He just kept ON and ON about "Oh I'll do anything you want.. Please.. Just follow me to my house man. I'm just a few blocks away. I live right behind 711 man.. C'mon.. Don't call the cops!" - - He didn't know at that point that when I had walked to the other side of his car a minute before, I had already reported it and reported that the guy had been drinking, gave his license plates to them, etc.. The dispatch said they were on the way. I continued talking to him trying to find out what he was thinking drinking and driving. He seemed like a really nice guy that made a stupid decision and I feel bad about that because I really could have let him go, I guess, and hoped it didn't happen again.. but be serious: We all know it would happen again! Only maybe next time it wouldn't be a little rear-end accident with no one hurt.. It might be my family that gets run over and killed by this guy. Seemed like a nice guy, but I thought the right thing to do was to let the police handle it. After a few more minutes of him trying to talk me into leaving and him paying me (said he would write me a $1000 check.. but keep in mind, this guy was driving a little late 90's SUV, decked out in camo, with beer in his CUPHOLDER) I suggested that if he wanted to leave, I wasn't going to physically stop him from leaving... but told him he was just going to get himself in that much more trouble if he ran. Here's where I really feel bad: One last plea of desperation asking me to follow him and get out of there, and the look in his eyes was worth a thousand words. He ends up putting the car in gear and driving around my car, headed home. He told me where he lived, I had his license plate, I knew what he was wearing, the color of his eyes and his hair, what kind of beer he was drinking, etc. What would you guys have done? Throw him to the wolves, or play dumb to save this guys neck? He was drinking and driving, and he deserves whatever happens to him, but he was a pretty nice guy that seemed like he had just fucked up one too many times and was at the wrong place at the wrong time, doing the wrong thing. Would you have let him go, or would you have turned him in? I feel bad about it, but I think he's going to get nailed to the wall based on the situation. His drinking and driving turned into hit and run, which if I'm not mistaken is a felony in Virginia. When I got done with the police report, I drove by where he said he lived on my way home and the street was swarming with several police cars. I'm sure he went right home and probably forgot all about it.

As for the damage to my car, luckily it wasn't as bad as it could have been considering the speed. A few scuffs on the bumper, threw it a little more out of alignment (the fitment of the rear bumper), took a little chunk of plastic out of the rubstrip section of the bumper, put a good sized crack--or what seems to be a crack in the bumper, and cracked my license plate holder. Nothing crunched in, no glass broke, no one was hurt.. I was able to drive my car home safely afterwards. I really guess I could have let him go but the point is that he was drinking and driving and that the accident wasn't my fault.

So what would you have done? Did I do the right thing?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:10 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: I got hit by a drunk driver...

Sorry. Double post.. although I don't know how that could have happened. Forum software usually prevents a duplicate post, and a second post within like 30 seconds.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:41 AM
16g-95gsx
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

The way I see it, he got lucky hitting you at 25-30 and not injuring anyone. It's one thing to drive if you've had 2-3 beers, but its another to drive when you dont even have the coordination to walk. If anyone should be sorry it is he for the lack of caring he displayed to anyone who might be around him.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:56 AM
MerF
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Just responded in your other thread.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 AM
vtec101
I <3 (.Y.)

vtec101 is a name known to allvtec101 is a name known to allvtec101 is a name known to allvtec101 is a name known to allvtec101 is a name known to allvtec101 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
The way I see it, he got lucky hitting you at 25-30 and not injuring anyone. It's one thing to drive if you've had 2-3 beers, but its another to drive when you dont even have the coordination to walk. If anyone should be sorry it is he for the lack of caring he displayed to anyone who might be around him.
agreed 100%
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Cosmo
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

A good friend of mine was killed when a drunk driver's car crossed the median in the interstate, hit the lip of the median, jumped in the air, and landed on a my friend's car. Another friend of mine will never walk again because he was hit by a drunk driver while walking on the sidewalk. Both of the drivers "only had a few beers".

You absolutely should have turned him in. If he gets away with it this time, there is no reason for him to not do it again. Next time the person he hits may not be so lucky.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by Cosmo
A good friend of mine was killed when a drunk driver's car crossed the median in the interstate, hit the lip of the median, jumped in the air, and landed on a my friend's car. Another friend of mine will never walk again because he was hit by a drunk driver while walking on the sidewalk. Both of the drivers "only had a few beers".

You absolutely should have turned him in. If he gets away with it this time, there is no reason for him to not do it again. Next time the person he hits may not be so lucky.

I did.. I did.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:05 AM
連続注入
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

Damn....A guy I work with got in a serious accident last night after leaving work. He hit head on with a 2004 Ford F-150 and a 2004 Chevy Tahoe.

He had late 90's Red Mustang. Completly totalled. His mom said one of the trucks was on top of his car or something like that. The F150 and his Mustang were both doing 60 mph. Himi and his g/f got lucky as shit.

They both walked out of the accident practically unscathed.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:22 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by Nd4sped
Damn....A guy I work with got in a serious accident last night after leaving work. He hit head on with a 2004 Ford F-150 and a 2004 Chevy Tahoe.

He had late 90's Red Mustang. Completly totalled. His mom said one of the trucks was on top of his car or something like that. The F150 and his Mustang were both doing 60 mph. Himi and his g/f got lucky as shit.

They both walked out of the accident practically unscathed.

How did he hit two vehicles head on?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:03 AM
slammed
Registered Member

slammed has disabled reputation

damn that sucks,glad everyone is still breathing

sidenote: who's going to fix it?

Quick Reply: I got hit by a drunk driver...