Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Sidepipes?

Old 10-15-2004 | 10:43 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Sidepipes?

Originally Posted by FlodaSE-R
Who mentioned Saleen? And since when did they have sidepipes?

i have seen a few mustangs (saleen body kits, dont know if they were real or not. around here, they were probly fake.) that had molded side skirts with exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels.

i am no saleen expert (i bow to you kevin ) but the trooper i asked about it (who is in charge of the inspection stations in this area) mentioned saleens one time when i asked him about sidepipes (i also asked about externally dumped wastegates, and for inspection, they are legal, but they are illegal. same as having straight pipe back with no muffler, passes inspection but is illegal. )

and from the "bible" aka motor vehicle inspection handbook:

reference: code of va 46.2-1047 abd 46.2-1049

revised 11-11-98

page 300-1 of the VA state inspection handbook states:

19 VAC 30-70-300 muffler, exhaust system and trailer venting

A. flexible tubing may be used anywhere in the system.

B/ Inspection of exhaust system does not concernt noise level

Inspect for and reject if:
1. There is any leakage of exhaust gases at any point of the system. Do not reject for built in "drainage" holes in muffler or tailpipe

2. A muffler or catalytic converter has been repaired in any manner. the exhaust pipe may be welded to the muffler or catalytic converter. holes or cracks in the exhaust line have been repaired with a patch or caulking.

3. tailpipe opening is mashed or pinched.

4. Brackets are loose, broken, or missing

5. The exhaust system fails to discharge the exhaust to the rear or sides of that part of a property-carrying-vehicle which is designed for and normally used for the driver and passenger, and to the rear or sides of the passenger and trunk compartment of passenger vehicles

goes on for trailer venting...but as far as state inspections are concerned, it is illegal.
Old 10-15-2004 | 10:51 AM
FlimFlam
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

More then likely it was a SVO side pipe kit. Which looks and sounds like trash and has no place on a Saleen, but who the fuck cares if its on a fake, they already bastardized it anyhow.

My SE-R will soon either have a dump in the middle of the car, or a side exit. Legality isn't a priority.
Old 10-15-2004 | 10:53 AM
FlimFlam
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

The SVO exhaust I was speaking of:
Old 10-15-2004 | 11:23 AM
Y2K Z24
Grrrr...

Y2K Z24 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a straight answer you can always go here with your question.
Old 10-15-2004 | 12:08 PM
FlimFlam
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Y2K Z24
If you want a straight answer you can always go here with your question.
Those that come to DragVa for help arent looking for straight answers. If they are, they have much to learn.
Old 10-15-2004 | 05:12 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

thats the one i saw kevin....looks decent, but this car had some funky body kit on it and fake ass saleeeeeeen decals.

fucking dumb redneck ricers.....
Old 10-21-2004 | 11:10 PM
Syzle

Syzle is an unknown quantity at this point

You could probably pass inspection, but I think VA exhaust laws are something like If its not stock, its illegal, regardless of noise or whatever.
Old 10-22-2004 | 06:20 AM
onepointone
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

just because it passes inspection doesnt mean you cant get a ticket for it. the saftey inspection is just to make sure it is safe and not polluting the air excessivly.

the old exhaust system on my rx7 passed inspection, but i still got a ticket for noise.