Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

2wd to 4wd

Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM
eurotund757
Dragva nukkas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud ofeurotund757 has much to be proud of
Default 2wd to 4wd

is there any way to convert a 2wd jeep cherokee sport into a 4wd? one of my friends told me it was possible..?
Old 12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Zack
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack
Default Re: 2wd to 4wd

Buy a 4wd tranny, t-case, front axle, driveshafts, and other misc components. It should be 99% bolt on.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:54 PM
BigHead Ted
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

yeah if there are other ones in the same year as yours that came 4wd that means it is already set-up for it. i suggest to swap in aftermarket/stronger components the first time instead of haing to redo it down the road.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
BeerIsGood
Registered member

BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood BeerIsGood

Don't mean to rob ur thread bro....but can this be the same with a 2wd Ranger? if so what needs to be done? the same?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:14 PM
lsegcoupe
Registered member

lsegcoupe has disabled reputation

rangers need more modifications. i tried on my dads older ranger.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:04 AM
domesticgeek
10-4

domesticgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

lol.... ranger... i have one too.... stick with the 2wd. the best, cheapest way to do it is to sell it, and buy a 4wd.... and the jeep, drive lines, transfer case, tranny, i'd regear the rear, suspension (sp?), (4wd jeeps sit a tad bit higher), and other misc nickle and dime bull sh*t. But yeah, it can be done.

Again, i'd rather sell it, and just buy a 4wd. Much cheaper. Craigslist in richmond section has a few cherokee's cheap.... so check them out... might get a good trade deal....

good luck with the swap if you go for it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
dubwize
skankin'

dubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud of

It is definitely possible. I can't believe my friend (mudstuck) hasn't posted on here yet so I will. We converted his a while back and was semi-challening in that we had to find rarer parts that were splined (21 spline i believe) differently for his 4cyl. Anyway heres the write up he did. Good luck.

http://xjfanatic.com/4wd1.php
Old 01-03-2006, 01:16 PM
HORNY4ZORNY
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

Originally Posted by BigHead Ted
yeah if there are other ones in the same year as yours that came 4wd that means it is already set-up for it. i suggest to swap in aftermarket/stronger components the first time instead of haing to redo it down the road.

yeah build it up so you dont have to replace broken parts down the road later on
Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM
mudstuck
Registered Member

mudstuck is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah its possible, I did it. The only reason I had trouble finding parts is because my cherokee had a 4cyl and AX-5 transmission (can't find too many of those in the junkyard). If you have a cherokee with the AW4 automatic, it makes the conversion much easier.

once again, heres the writeup I did on how to convert: http://xjfanatic.com/4wd1.php