Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Airbag installation

Old 05-29-2006, 06:50 PM
BlessTheMartyr
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlessTheMartyr has disabled reputation
Default Airbag installation

so i did a search and found two posts but niether really helped. i have a mitusbishi eclipse and i need to reinstall the airbags i read that i need the new airbags and the new airbag ecu and i have both and they are ready to install i read that i should disconnect the battery. but what else and is it alright to personally do or should i get it professionally done?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 AM
Slepping_H22_DC
I am SLOW SON !!

Slepping_H22_DC has disabled reputation
Default Re: Airbag installation

Get a haynes manual and you never have to worry about shit like this step by step instructions. But, yea i don't know mitsu i know you need to pull the battery cable at a minimum.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:53 PM
BlessTheMartyr
Registered Member

BlessTheMartyr has disabled reputation

all those manuals say have it professionally installed
Old 06-02-2006, 07:19 AM
chuckyarus
Registered Member

chuckyarus has disabled reputation

I did mine in a honda civic I had awhile back and it wasn't a big job at all. I would still get a manual.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Hodo
Registered Member

Hodo has disabled reputation

Ok disconnect the battery STEP 1!!!

Why because when you hook the airbag up to the power wire if there is any surge at all it will detonate the airbag in your hands and face. I can tell you from experiance thats not good.

But if you still have the orignial airbags and they havent detonated or been deployed then you can reinstall them noproblem. Most drivers side airbags are easy as hell to install most only have at most 2 screws that hold them in place. Also if your old airbag control module hadnt been use, IE the car was wrecked and the airbags werent deployed then you may be able to get away with reusing it.

Passed that I cant tell you much more I dont know a great deal about DSMs.

If you have no real experiance with safety systems in cars I suggest you pay to let some technician do it at a Mitsu shop. Because if something goes wrong and that thing deploys while you are 6 inches from it with your head, odds are you wont know what happend but somebody will be crying at your hospital bedside. When I was in school we used to take junk cars and yank the airbags out of them then take them to a field with a 12v battery and some long wires with jumper leads on the ends and set them off. The best hieght we got out of one was about 25ft straight up.

If you dont feel comfortable doing it then DONT.