Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Track report: Summit: J/C (56k, GTFO)

Old 06-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Real Random
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Re: Track report: Summit: J/C (56k, GTFO)

i would need another bike for track riding
Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 PM
CBR600F4
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by seanazzy
dude coleman explained to me that racing is cheaper than doing track days!
I don't see how that's possible..............lemme explain.

A track day (I ride with TPM) costs on average 250-300 for one day; depending on the organization and event. You're looking at 3 sessions in the morning and *hopefully* 5 sessions in the afternoon; each an average of hopefully 20 minutes.

Including the cost of tires (I run scrubs which you can find anywhere at about 50-100 a set), gas for the bike, gas there and back, yadda yadda yadda.

If the track is close you don't even have to pay for lodging; just leave that night.

Soo......guestimating would put that track day at what? 500 tops?

Now let's talk about a race weekend:

It starts off Friday night when you leave. Sleep in your truck if they don't open the gates till the next morning. Pay your 70 bucks for your fisrt race, 60 for the next and they continue to go down in price.

You need NEW tires; 300+ for one set. I was able to make it through a weekend on a single set; but I'll never do that again. So let's say you're fast enough to need two sets............that's more in tires alone than you spent for your track day.

Not including if you want a hotel room. Not including food for the weekend; or gas or whatever. Plus if you wreck on saturday you best be sure you'll want your ride fixed before Sunday.

That's not including the price of everything you need just to get started. Tire warmers, genny, paddock tent, yadda yadda yadda. Most serious track day guys will have most of that stuff already.

All in all it's not that outrageous to spend about a grand for a race weekend; that's including everything you spent on the bike before and after the weekend.

And there's a race weekend EVERY month; some have two.

where've you been...i remember going to a wera race of yours a couple years back. how's everything been going?
Well; I got to my ship January of 06 and I've been underway allot. Had to sell the '05 600rr I bought to race (and fully race prepped) because I just didn't have the opportunity to race last year. Went on deployment in October and got back at the end of May; yup......8 months in the gulf.

Now I'm just looking to do a couple track days this year and keep myself at the track level. I get back to shore in January 09 so I should be racing that summer.

Not too sure if I wanna go back to the 600 class.............we call it the Meatgrinder for a reason. But we'll see..........there's lots of different classes out there.

Last edited by CBR600F4; 06-16-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Alwayslast
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

dude coleman explained to me that racing is cheaper than doing track days!
I think what that guy meant was the entry fee is cheaper than a trackday fee. Thats the only thing I can think of. Everything else is pretty much the same.

What CBR600 posted is pretty much the cost for a race weekend.

Whether it be a trackday or a race day, this sport is an expensive sport.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 AM
seanazzy
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, it must've just been entry fees. i totally understand. i've done a few track days this year all at summit and i'm lucky that's only like 45mins from me so it's not too bad. vir and every other track are going to be costly though