Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Fairing Molds

Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
zx636skiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zx636skiv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fairing Molds

E-BAY!!!

I am just making a solo seat cowl for mine...I have about a week-10 days in just making the mold...another day in the fiberglass work...and probably about a week to go in the bodywork/ sanding part...then to paint.

I agree...buy a set. I'm not sure exactly which bike you are looking for (FZR/R1?), but there is pleny to look at on E-Bay...and some real good prices. Or you can always buy cheap race plastic and paint it! I have seen full sets on there for about $350 or so...

Last edited by zx636skiv; 07-11-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Jongo
Registered Member

Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo Jongo

K.I.S.S.
And I don't mean Rock and roll all night, and party everyday.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 AM
gilligan
Registered Member

gilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these partsgilligan is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
i'm goin to excuse that comment.....once...

anyway, coming from a person who has made and used many a fiberglass mold to make custom panels...

go buy replacements.

unless you're looking to make something completely unique, it's not worth the time, energy, money, or the headache to try and make replacement panels. it's NO WHERE near as easy as you think, and you'll probably never get it to fit like a factory panel. go look at the fitting on any racer's fiberglass bodywork. it's not even close to the same level as factory panels, and those panels come from companies that do it every day.

if you're still not convinced, i can give you some pointers, but in no way am i interested in helping with the actual work. it's a freakin nightmare, and in the end, it'll cost you just as much (if not more) than just buying good replacements. i have a few molds here if you want to see what all is involved in it, but they're all custom pieces, not trying to replicate a factory piece, so the tolerances of fitment doesn't have to be as tight.
yep!! flaberglass sucks ass..trust me ,i know.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:32 PM
tqueen
Registered Member

tqueen has disabled reputation

If you can buy replacements, do so. Its a pita to make molds. If you have to make the parts yourself there are several dealers for composite supplies on the internet. www.shopmaninc.com is a good one. Locally, Eastern Burlap in Norfolk will have all you need and can give advice.