Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

do you get radio reception in the tunnel?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:23 AM
S2K_Guy
AKA: SHY_GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy
Default Re: do you get radio reception in the tunnel?

I loose reception under overpasses
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
soopahtoe
i ask teh intarweb

soopahtoe is an unknown quantity at this point

fm no am yes
Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Insomniac Desi
Registered Member

Insomniac Desi Insomniac Desi Insomniac Desi

Originally Posted by Shaminii
Someone clearly hasn't taken Physics. You do in fact lose signal in a tunnel and also in elevators depending what the elevator is made out of. According to my physics teacher, he said that going though an tunnel that goes under water shouldn't be a problem because the salt in the water is a good conductor. I wouldn't know cause I don't listen to the radio.
seriously, what the fuck are you talking about?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Will Sol
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

Originally Posted by 85VWGolfer
i dont loose reception in any of them
+1
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 AM
euro sport
I wupped Batmans ass

euro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to alleuro sport is a name known to all

I drive through the HRBT on a daily basis (Northbound in the morning, Southbound at night).

Radio reception can work fine one day, and be completely out the next. This is the case for either direction. They definitely have a repeater system that is randomly broken.

As for satellite radio, that shit don't work ever!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
citymunky
Registered member

citymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud ofcitymunky has much to be proud of

Yes
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
zappas
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

Originally Posted by professorman
Salt water is a good conductor of electricity. I do not think any water is a conductor for radio waves. Radio waves move through the air. I have never thought about if they move through water. Water molecules are different than metal, because it is liquid. I guess they probably do, because I would imagine that a submarie gets CB radio signlas under water. Salt water is however a poor conductor for radio waves.

I do loose radio signal shortly after I enter the tunnel. I have cell phone reception all the way through from Hampton to norfolk, but on the way back, I always drop my call about 50ft as I enter, but then I have signal the whole way through.

Did you know that the reason you do not get cell phone signal in certain buildlings, like walmart and other large buildings is because of all the metal in the buildings? The metal in the buildings, it acts as a electronic shield... The metal cage effectively creats a Faraday cage around you, not allowing the cell phone signal to get in. That is why you loose signal in some areas of walmart, or elevators and things like that. Too much metal. The more metal, the more the shielding.

The reason you dont get signal is because of Reflection, metal is not the only reason, yes it does cause reflection, but so do plenty of other materials..not to mention it depends on where the cell tower is located and the coverage area of there antennas for your network.

As far as the tunnel keeping signal, it is because those little antennas at either end of the tunnels, are actually cell Antennas. and they are the reason you keep service. If you drop a call it's because the antenna cannot handle the amount of calls its being used from, I know At&t has amplifiers on there antennas which boost signal strength and call handiling capabilities.

Loosing Radio service is also due to reflection, water reflects the signal, same reason as on a cloudy, misty day you will have worse reception then normal. Just the opposite AM towers are basically just a big antenna that is tuned to that certain signal, by electricity, often why you see 2 or 3 and in some occassions 4 or 5 side by side, because it creates a stronger signal at that freqeuncy, and works better on cloudy days b/c as mentioned water is a good conductor for electricity.