Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

bike size to learn

Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 AM
ryanherington
yaaat.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Re: bike size to learn

Originally Posted by banned_user
i have the permit, but all that took was a push screen multiple choice test...I mean wtf? I hope that doesnt mean Im allowed to ride alone(not like i'd try)while Im in learners status, if so I'll always wonder if the guy on the bike in the other lane is just learning too.....
If you have your permit you should know the rules for how you're allowed to ride.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM
T226
On 2 now

T226 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by oodie
It's summer time. To OP I am 6'1 185 and i ride a 600 fits me fine.
Ok and your point is? The anwsers in this thread are the SAME, almost word for word maybe, as every other thread.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
ijdmgsr
Registered member

ijdmgsr has disabled reputation

A 600 is plenty of bike, even for your size!

I work for honds-suzuki in my town, and have been around bikes for years, and the truth be said there probably isnt but 5 riders out of 1000 that can actually push a 600 to its true potential!!

And anything bigger would translate to problems for a beginner, and anything smaller like a gs500f or 250 ninja is not going to be enough! So go for the 600!

Hope that helps!
Old 06-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Real Random
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

Originally Posted by T226
Ok and your point is? The anwsers in this thread are the SAME, almost word for word maybe, as every other thread.
though it is a shame it is useless to state it.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
T226
On 2 now

T226 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by 2>4
though it is a shame it is useless to state it.
Yeah Q I think You are right.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by banned_user
a 500? what would the diff feel like in power/top speed(I know I'll have to test drive myself to really know), give me an idea
If you're worried about the power/top speed difference, just get a 1000. The quicker you kill yourself the quicker we get idiots like you off the road.

Power and top speed are the LAST things you should be worried about when choosing your first bike. Fucking moron.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 AM
vafierro

vafierro has disabled reputation

Take the course at TCC. Anything from a 500 to a 750 is probably fine but remember also that a newer 600 can have as much performance as some older 1000cc bikes. A 600cc four will last a good lone time. A Katana is a good learning bike and usually can be gotten pretty cheaply. They aren't full on sports bikes and not as fast as a GSXR for example. The most important thing though is don't think just because you feel comfortable you're suddenly also capable. Don't take chances with your life be doing something stupid. At least for the first year ALWAYS wear your protective gear. Honestly I don't always now, but I've been riding for over 20 years also. Assume you are going to get in an accident EVERY time you get on the bike, be aware of traffic and cars and don't try to impress people, especially kids in cars egging you on to do something stupid. Lots of people will do that, they are idiots. Its you that will end up with the totalled bike and hospital stay so play it safe.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:56 AM
quick26
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

Originally Posted by vafierro
Take the course at TCC. Anything from a 500 to a 750 is probably fine but remember also that a newer 600 can have as much performance as some older 1000cc bikes. A 600cc four will last a good lone time. A Katana is a good learning bike and usually can be gotten pretty cheaply. They aren't full on sports bikes and not as fast as a GSXR for example. The most important thing though is don't think just because you feel comfortable you're suddenly also capable. Don't take chances with your life be doing something stupid. At least for the first year ALWAYS wear your protective gear. Honestly I don't always now, but I've been riding for over 20 years also. Assume you are going to get in an accident EVERY time you get on the bike, be aware of traffic and cars and don't try to impress people, especially kids in cars egging you on to do something stupid. Lots of people will do that, they are idiots. Its you that will end up with the totalled bike and hospital stay so play it safe.
i have to agree with this post. another good learning bike is the sv class of bikes. they are v style motors, the ergonomics is not as bad on them and they are far more predictable when riding.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM
professorman
yard man

professorman has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vafierro
Great post. If you really want to ride, just concentrate on learning how to deal with others around you, by getting a slower bike, than scaring yourself shitless on a supersport. You sound like you want to be a rider though, and not just a squid with a bike. I want to be a rider for life, and I want to live to enjoy this wonderful hobby.