Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Quick question for those banking with USAA

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Quick question for those banking with USAA

I'm done with BB&T (someone took my check card number all over the internet and BB&T refused to do anything until after the charges post telling me to do the leg work, which is bad but not terrible, but now I see that they've charged me $2 for calling customer service to tell them to stop the card because it has been compromised. WTF).

So, someone told me that I can get USAA banking even though I'm not military. It looks pretty good, but my only worry is how would I deposit checks? I see there is a branch in Norfolk. Is there none in Yorktown or is google maps just wrong? And before anyone says USAA Deposit@Home, I can't use that as I'm not elligible for USAA insurance.

Last edited by marlinspike; 03-28-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 AM
jus10
Registered Member

jus10 is a jewel in the roughjus10 is a jewel in the roughjus10 is a jewel in the roughjus10 is a jewel in the roughjus10 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Quick question for those banking with USAA

Your best bet would be to contact USAA and ask them your questions. Just my 2 cents. I do everything through them, less banking.. and that may even change soon.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:20 PM
split
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I'm done with BB&T (someone took my check card number all over the internet and BB&T refused to do anything until after the charges post telling me to do the leg work, which is bad but not terrible, but now I see that they've charged me $2 for calling customer service to tell them to stop the card because it has been compromised. WTF).

So, someone told me that I can get USAA banking even though I'm not military. It looks pretty good, but my only worry is how would I deposit checks? I see there is a branch in Norfolk. Is there none in Yorktown or is google maps just wrong? And before anyone says USAA Deposit@Home, I can't use that as I'm not elligible for USAA insurance.
I don't think you can be eligible for banking but not insurance or vice versa.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...er_eligibility
Do you have a scanner or access to one? If you do, all you have to do is endorse the check, scan it and it's deposited. So easy you can do it naked.
You can get USAA membership if someone in your immediate family is/was in the military and I think that's about it. Not like Navy Fed where if you live with someone that is a member you can become a member as well. I switched to USAA about 4 years ago and wish I would have done it 10 years ago.

Last edited by split; 03-28-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:43 PM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

I've been considering switching all my banking to USAA. I have my CC and auto loan with them, along with insurance, but do my savings/checking with ABNB.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:04 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by split
I don't think you can be eligible for banking but not insurance or vice versa.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...er_eligibility
Do you have a scanner or access to one? If you do, all you have to do is endorse the check, scan it and it's deposited. So easy you can do it naked.
You can get USAA membership if someone in your immediate family is/was in the military and I think that's about it. Not like Navy Fed where if you live with someone that is a member you can become a member as well. I switched to USAA about 4 years ago and wish I would have done it 10 years ago.
Hmmm, I was told that for the banking, and only for the banking, you do not have to be eligible to be a USAA member.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Lord Humongous
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Nope..you have to be military
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Hmmmm, the guy who told me it's different for banking banks with them, is a civilian attorney working in a JAG office, and told me it would be illegal for them to restrict the banking to people eligible to be USAA members. I guess I'll call them on Monday and find out.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

From what I've read/heard, you can have like a grandfather in the military and still qualify to be in USAA. Well good luck with it tho, I hope you get an account. I love mine USAA account.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by dru
From what I've read/heard, you can have like a grandfather in the military and still qualify to be in USAA. Well good luck with it tho, I hope you get an account. I love mine USAA account.
Hmmm, well my dad was in the USMC, but I'm not sure if it counts - he was honorable discharged after completing the year of basic training.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM
elambz
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Probably. I remember them sending out a newsletter with something in regards to USMC. Just call them up and ask, it doesn't hurt, and will only save you money if you can get with them.