Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b20 ecu???

Old 04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
radiaki11
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: b20 ecu???

ok so on a stock LS ecu whats making up for the extra .2 L of displacement
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 PM
SPAWN
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by radiaki11
+1

an LS ecu WILL work, but ideally, you just want to ebay or junk yard a stock B20 ecu....OR try calling Factory Parts and see if they have one...(757)855-2241
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
eghondafamily
Registered Member

eghondafamily has disabled reputation

if you are runnin the b20 in an obd1 car, i have a stock ls ecu thats obd1. let me know if you need it.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:18 PM
iFoam
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by eghondafamily
if you are runnin the b20 in an obd1 car, i have a stock ls ecu thats obd1. let me know if you need it.

dude.

read.

srsly.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:01 PM
BAD4DR
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radiaki11
Nothing.
It won't be absolutely perfect.
But to be honest, that difference in size doesn't make a big difference in what the motor wants for a tune, because the majority of the characteristics of the engine are identical, as aside from bore size, they are identical motors to an LS.

Aside from that, factory leans towards mildly rich on tunes, as that is safe, and the added displacement will absorb some of that. Further, it adds/removes fuel based on the o2 sensor, which then brings into fact it's going to stay stoich. Honda is rather aggressive on timing maps, and so you also have the advantage that more displacement will handle more timing normally, and so it makes for a better midrange, and a much better setup.

The stock CR-V computer is designed to improve torque curve, at a loss of power for the heavier vehicle, that is less aerodynamic. It's in no way performance oriented, and some models are even optimized on the ECU to help improve economy on the larger, heavier CR-V. This means that the LS ECU, from a performance standpoint, also has some other advantages over the stock B20 unit.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:07 PM
00civichatch
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Originally Posted by Mr. Projekt
dude.

read.

srsly.
Whats wrong with your dads crv?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's not the difference in displacement that will be the issue, it's the difference in volumetric efficiency. So a B20 with a different head and intake manifold than an LS won't necessarily work as well with an LS ECU. The O2 sensor will tend to correct some of the fueling, but the tune won't really be ideal. You've got a larger engine, but it's got a crap intake manifold and cam, so there are going to be some areas of load and RPM that aren't going to match that great. Honestly though, it probably won't make a difference as long as you're running at least as rich as stock. Again, it might not be ideal, but as long as it stays in the safe range of tuning you'll be fine.

Only one way to find out..
Old 04-05-2009, 06:22 AM
iFoam
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by 00civichatch
Whats wrong with your dads crv?

i dunno jason... he's torn that thing apart.... maybe even wiring now...

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's not the difference in displacement that will be the issue, it's the difference in volumetric efficiency. So a B20 with a different head and intake manifold than an LS won't necessarily work as well with an LS ECU. The O2 sensor will tend to correct some of the fueling, but the tune won't really be ideal. You've got a larger engine, but it's got a crap intake manifold and cam, so there are going to be some areas of load and RPM that aren't going to match that great. Honestly though, it probably won't make a difference as long as you're running at least as rich as stock. Again, it might not be ideal, but as long as it stays in the safe range of tuning you'll be fine.

haha this is a good point... i think we're going to test out the ecu this week
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
radiaki11
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8

haha i almost went that into dept about it but decided not to .