Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

MSD coil on stock ignition?

Old 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: MSD coil on stock ignition?

Now the only annoying part will be that it looks like the wires have to be plugged onto the coil rather than the kind where you have screw posts and you screw a nut on top of the wires...I've got like 4 wires on each side that have to be spliced together....
Old 04-12-2009, 03:51 PM
radiaki11
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Now the only annoying part will be that it looks like the wires have to be plugged onto the coil rather than the kind where you have screw posts and you screw a nut on top of the wires...I've got like 4 wires on each side that have to be spliced together....
my MSD coil i had circle tab's i could put on the end of my wires and screw the nut down on them , look for the one with the prongs that u slip the circle fittings on and tighten down if thats what u neeed because msd DOES make a coil with that wire fitting style heres the blaster 2 i had and it DOES have the crew type like you want , they also make the blaster SS and blaster 3 in the screw on circle connector type hope ive ben able to help u out any questions PM me and ill answer anything u need to know

Last edited by radiaki11; 04-12-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Dude...
+rep

Perhaps you could explain something to me. How does the coil increase the strength of the spark? I thought it was all in the ignition box, but I got this idea because a guy in England who did a similar engine swap said his exhaust was dumping out HC until he upgraded to the later Mercedes coil that gave him a stronger spark.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:25 PM
radiaki11
Registered Member

radiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond reputeradiaki11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Dude...
+rep

Perhaps you could explain something to me. How does the coil increase the strength of the spark? I thought it was all in the ignition box, but I got this idea because a guy in England who did a similar engine swap said his exhaust was dumping out HC until he upgraded to the later Mercedes coil that gave him a stronger spark.
MSD coiils have a lower primary resistance then stock coils which in return causes them to have a higher voltage output then the OEM coil , basically it gives you a stronger spark. which in return cause's a better burn .you get the idea the cleaner the burn the less HC's

PS make you you actually + rep me like you said i could use as many reps as i can get haha i want more gren box's

hope that helps man take it eay

Last edited by radiaki11; 04-12-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Did the +rep not register? When I tried to do it again it said I have to spread the rep around before repping you again, so I figured it took.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:41 PM
radiaki11
Registered Member

it worked thanks man , but yea let me kow if the MSD setup worked for you
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Hmmm, the service manual for my car says something that makes me wonder if I can use the MSD:
"Design and outer dimensions are similar to a high performance ignition coil, but the winding is different. It's ratio is 185:1 compared with 100:1 on conventional ignition units."

Sure enough, the MSD is 100:1.

Any thoughts on this?

Looks like the stock coil has lower primary resistance and higher secondary resistance too.
Stock installed is .33-.46 ohm primary, 7k-12k ohm secondary
stock 2nd gen coil that the british guy said he used is .2-.4ohm primary, 8k-13k ohm secondary
msd is .7ohm primary, 4.7k ohm secondary.

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.