Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Need insurance help

Old 07-14-2009 | 12:38 PM
BlackMagic
Registered Member

BlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to behold
Default Need insurance help

I am trying to sell my car, but my 6 month renewal is tomorrow, I want to change my policy so it's as cheap as possible, since I really won't be driving the car much until it is sold. I am just confused about like, bodily injury & property damage, options go from 25/50/20 to 250/500/100 and I don't know what that means.
Old 07-14-2009 | 12:41 PM
Carter
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Need insurance help

ever think about googling it? or calling the insurance company?

http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/v...utominimum.htm
Old 07-14-2009 | 01:04 PM
FairladyZTT
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by Carter
ever think about googling it? or calling the insurance company?

http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/v...utominimum.htm
+1 I would suggest that you call around and ask for the minimum state requirement.

It has to do with the limitations of your insurance.

25/50/25 has to do with personal body and property. so... if you cause an accident, they will cover up to this amount. then you have to cover anything over that. So dont hit an expensive car.
Old 07-14-2009 | 01:16 PM
Null
Rated M

Null has disabled reputation

Well first things first, is there a lien on the car? If so you will need full coverage, which is collision and comprehensive (often called "other than collision"). The state minimums for Virginia is 25/50/20, which means it will cover $25,000 of bodily injury per person, and a maximum of $50,000 per incident, and up to $20,000 in property damage.

If you aren't going to be driving the car at all and want to potentially save, you can pay the $500 uninsured motorist fee and take the risk of driving around without ANY insurance. That fee expires with your registratrion and you won't get a pro-rated amount back if you happen to sell your car.
Old 07-14-2009 | 06:57 PM
BlackMagic
Registered Member

BlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to beholdBlackMagic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Null
Well first things first, is there a lien on the car? If so you will need full coverage, which is collision and comprehensive (often called "other than collision"). The state minimums for Virginia is 25/50/20, which means it will cover $25,000 of bodily injury per person, and a maximum of $50,000 per incident, and up to $20,000 in property damage.

If you aren't going to be driving the car at all and want to potentially save, you can pay the $500 uninsured motorist fee and take the risk of driving around without ANY insurance. That fee expires with your registratrion and you won't get a pro-rated amount back if you happen to sell your car.
Thanks that's what I was looking for. And I own the car clean and clear. My insurance is only around $600 anyways for 6 months so I guess it doesn't make much sense for me to pay a $500 uninsured motorist fee. Thanks for the info! I just dropped everything to the minimum, upped my deductibles, and took off the extra equipment insurance. That should take a good chunk out of it.