Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

engine cleaning

Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM
richie-rich88
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richie-rich88 has disabled reputation
Default Re: engine cleaning

Well to people saying about high pressure water is no good....you have to know wat your doing with it. Ive been turning a wrench since i was 8. My dad has been a mechanic for over 40yrs now. From wat ive watched in the past and now done myself, I dont know if you guys have compressors in your garage, but for a few years now I use purple power and i let it sit for a lil maybe 2 min then i attack it with a pressure washer and when im done i pull out the hose to my compressor at home and grab a air gun and dry it out. It works every time and ive never had any problems with it. Then if you want it shiny just buy some of that engine shine stuff.

Thats how i clean my engine bays.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Although I'm glad you haven't had any problems, it's still a bad idea. Most environmental seals (electrical connectors, etc.) are not pressure rated and are only rated for shallow immersion and/or constant spray. The ratings for ball bearing shields and seals are roughly the same.. I'm not saying you're going to have a problem, but if you knowingly use a pressure washer on things that aren't designed to be pressure washed, you get what you get.

Use a pressure washer at your own risk.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-17-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM
lucas9277
Registered Member

lucas9277 has disabled reputation

elbow grease!!
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
SPAWN
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

as stated, purple power/super clean!! and a hose....or in my case, empty engine bay, super clean/purple power, and a pressure washer....
Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
richie-rich88
Registered member

richie-rich88 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Although I'm glad you haven't had any problems, it's still a bad idea. Most environmental seals (electrical connectors, etc.) are not pressure rated and are only rated for shallow immersion and/or constant spray. The ratings for ball bearing shields and seals are roughly the same.. I'm not saying you're going to have a problem, but if you knowingly use a pressure washer on things that aren't designed to be pressure washed, you get what you get.

Use a pressure washer at your own risk.

Well dont sit there like 2 inches away from where your spraying unless its like on the block or watever. Im not saying to stay in one place for a while like 2 inches away. be smart with it thats all you have to do. Ive seen too many times like at car washes where people are sitn there like where the electrical shit are and where the spark plugs are trying to get rid of gunk. Thats not smart u know.

Just be safe with it and u should be ok. i dry it off with the compressor when i do it.