Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

how can this be (tire balancing)

Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
MICK LVN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN MICK LVN
Default Re: how can this be (tire balancing)

i honestly think their machine is off, or the tech entered the wrong specs. our machine is very nice bu at one point caused a shimmy in every customers car. we went through and did the calibration on it and has been perfect ever since. good luck, hope you get it fixed!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Now I'm not so sure the balance is off. Heretofor I had only driven it at the listed speeds on 199. Today I took the car to work (50 miles of I-64) and while it felt like it had a tire balance issue on the less-than-smooth parts of the road, on the smooth parts it seemed fine. The weird thing is on smooth asphalt roads the tires seem smoother and quieter than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S that were on there, but on rough or concrete roads they are louder and harsher. I guess that explains why I was having to pump up the Michelins to keep the sidewalls from tucking.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 AM
Livin_Legend
Brown Water

Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Now I'm not so sure the balance is off. Heretofor I had only driven it at the listed speeds on 199. Today I took the car to work (50 miles of I-64) and while it felt like it had a tire balance issue on the less-than-smooth parts of the road, on the smooth parts it seemed fine. The weird thing is on smooth asphalt roads the tires seem smoother and quieter than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S that were on there, but on rough or concrete roads they are louder and harsher. I guess that explains why I was having to pump up the Michelins to keep the sidewalls from tucking.
?? Wouldn't that be normal?? Smooth roads cause less road noise than rough roads.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Livin_Legend
?? Wouldn't that be normal?? Smooth roads cause less road noise than rough roads.
I wasn't clear.

The Toyo T1Rs are smoother and quieter on smooth roads than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I had before were.

At the same time, the Toyo T1R are rougher and louder on rough roads than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I had before were.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:17 PM
civickid03
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

check the date on your tires to make sure they are new

use a marker or chalk to mark the tire and rim and go drive it and see if the tire moves on the rim.

sounds like uh ave a nice car, i used to work at mb in tysons..

i worked on newer chassis w211, etc - not sure if ur model has 'thrust arms' or adjustable wheel bearings - sometimes those can create vibrations if misadjusted...im assuming your alignment is good rite?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Originally Posted by civickid03
check the date on your tires to make sure they are new

use a marker or chalk to mark the tire and rim and go drive it and see if the tire moves on the rim.

sounds like uh ave a nice car, i used to work at mb in tysons..

i worked on newer chassis w211, etc - not sure if ur model has 'thrust arms' or adjustable wheel bearings - sometimes those can create vibrations if misadjusted...im assuming your alignment is good rite?
Alignment is good, though I'm running about 0 toe in the front, helped a lot with turn-in, though my car does follow the crown of the road a bit more than it should because of it.

I'll have to look through my service manuals. I don't know too much about suspension, but it's a double-wishbone in the front. IIRC the wheel bearings are not adjustable - you just replace the rears when they finally wear out and you repack the fronts every time you change the brake rotors.