Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

am i in over my head??

Old 01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
onepointone
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default am i in over my head??

ive never been REALLY competitive in autox, mainly because im in csp with my car and i dont have alot of mods, but i wanted to see what class yall think i would be in. im guessing e-mod, but anyone think i could get away with a lighter class? this is for this coming season.

1985 rx7

motor-

-1986 merkur 2.3t engine
-manual boost controller
-4" pipe upper intake manifold (for intercooler piping)
-front mount intercooler
-14" electric fan (dont know if this matters, but the merkur had an electric fan stock)
-big VAM from turbocoupe

suspension
-eibach pro kit
-1985 gslse suspension (front and rear)

tires
-dont know what im going to run as of now, probably stock rims with sumitomo htr200's

misc.
-the motor and tranny are on solid motor mounts
-battery located in the back
-no interior
-4pt racing harness
-boost/a/f gauges (dont think they matter
-walbro 255 fuel pump

thats all i can think of right now. but im thinking the engine swap is goign to out class me like crazy. i read somewhere that engine swaps from different manufactures are automatically e-mod, is this true?
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 AM
roadRacer
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

The basics of the rules are posted here:

http://moutons.org/sccasolo

I think the only other possibility might be Street Mod 2, which has the rules here:

http://moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_modified.html

The only thing that gets you in trouble is the engine swap. But if you read 18.1.D you see what and how you can swap engines between Mazda and Ford. It appears that a Probe could use andy Mazda or Ford engine, so a Rotary powered Probe, or a 5.0 powered MX6 would be ok, but the RX7 was totally developed by Mazda, and I can't see you getting away with that .... at least at the national level.

Now you also have to remember two things. Local people are more flexible with rules than at the national level, and it is up to the entrant to class him/herself.

This means that you can class the car yourself and it is up to someone else to protest you. I don't think your setup is completely outside of what is intended with SM. Phooka is building a 5.0 1st gen RX7, and I think his car is still within what I think SM2 should be. Granted that is my opinion, and I know the rules failrly well, but, I am not an authority.

If I were you, I would talk to the other SM2 entrants, tell them everything done to your can, and tell them that you wanted to run in SM2 and ask them if they would rather have another friendly competitor, or rather you ran in EM. I think most of them would rather have the friendly competitor and you will never hear anything else about it.

Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:40 PM
jmciver

jmciver is an unknown quantity at this point

SM is out for you if you have gutted your interior.

You can check out the official rules on my website (link is in my sig) but it sounds like you are either in a modified or prepared class.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
lightningd
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

james, doesn't Terry's 318 have a stripped interior? i haven't seen it in the longest time, but i dont remember any comfort aids on the inside.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:04 AM
roadRacer
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed the gutted interior part. You might as well add the interior back in, or at least enough of it to mee the rules. I have extra first gen interior that is is more or less complete if you want it you can come get it (it is still sorta in a parts car).
Old 01-04-2004, 11:26 AM
maxQ
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lightningd
james, doesn't Terry's 318 have a stripped interior?
Nope. Full interior, except the rear seat.

i haven't seen it in the longest time, but i dont remember any comfort aids on the inside.
And you won't anymore. It is GONE.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:26 PM
jmciver

jmciver is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, the ///M 318 is gone. He now has his new project, a BMW 328 that he is working on.