Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

b series build help

Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
rollinonabean
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollinonabean has disabled reputation
Default b series build help

I am looking for somebody near Radford that builds motors for a reasonable price. I'm talking like $500 for labor or around there. I need some boring and honing done and some new pistons, rods, and bearings put in my b16a.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:44 PM
連続注入
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入
Default Re: b series build help

I recommend Terry Walters as far as the boring goes. I sent my block to him, he is in Roanoke. Cost me $120 for hot tanking and boring.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 AM
Letze
GT-Four Guy

Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze

Dealt with terry for all my work and sent several people to him, no problems yet from any of it. As for the rest, less than 500 you can buy the tools to do it yourself its not hard just have to measure everything and follow the specs.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 AM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Any machine shop around here should be able to do a basic bore and hone.
As said above,you can buy the basic tools you need and do the assembly yourself.Not to mention there's a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.
If you want to have somebody do the assembly too,there's no machine shop around here I could recommend(only ones I'd run from).I'd suggest getting the machine work done wherever,and there are several options in the area for people to assemble it.
I'd also recommend calling Golden Eagle.I've had them do the machine work on the last couple blocks I've done,and it's pretty damn impressive,as well as being cheaper than anywhere around here(about the same once you factor shipping).I'd say their assembly rates are comparable too,and there's nobody in the Honda scene who's better.

Is this a stock rebuild,or some kind of performance build?
Chris

Last edited by TNGChris; 12-20-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:17 AM
rollinonabean
Registered Member

rollinonabean has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Any machine shop around here should be able to do a basic bore and hone.
As said above,you can buy the basic tools you need and do the assembly yourself.Not to mention there's a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.
If you want to have somebody do the assembly too,there's no machine shop around here I could recommend(only ones I'd run from).I'd suggest getting the machine work done wherever,and there are several options in the area for people to assemble it.
I'd also recommend calling Golden Eagle.I've had them do the machine work on the last couple blocks I've done,and it's pretty damn impressive,as well as being cheaper than anywhere around here(about the same once you factor shipping).I'd say their assembly rates are comparable too,and there's nobody in the Honda scene who's better.

Is this a stock rebuild,or some kind of performance build?
Chris
Thanks for the info. and I'm gonna do some wiseco low comp pistons and eagle rods, then eventually turbo

and what tools am I going to need that the average person wouldnt have?

Last edited by rollinonabean; 12-20-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
連続注入
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

Inside Micrometers
Standard Micrometers
Feeler Gauges
Plastigauge
Torque Wrench in both Foot Pounds and Inch Pounds

Those will be your primary tools.

If you don't have a precision straight edge have the shop measure the deck of your block to ensure it is square. You can also have them measure the line bore (where the crank sits) as well. Also if you send it to Terry Walters make sure you bring your main caps as well.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM
TNGChris
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Wrench_Si
Inside Micrometers
Standard Micrometers
Feeler Gauges
Plastigauge
Torque Wrench in both Foot Pounds and Inch Pounds

Those will be your primary tools.

If you don't have a precision straight edge have the shop measure the deck of your block to ensure it is square. You can also have them measure the line bore (where the crank sits) as well. Also if you send it to Terry Walters make sure you bring your main caps as well.
+1

Make sure you send your pistons too so that they can measure them,so there's no argument later on what bore size you specified.Tell them what piston to wall clearance you want,as they'll probably otherwise go with stock specs.
Of course,still double check their work to make sure your P2W measurement is what you wanted.This'll require a bore gauge in addition to the above mentioned tools if your micrometer set doesn't include an outside micrometer,or you can use a bore measureing tool(just a few dollars at Harbor Freight)and then use your inside micrometers to measure that.
Also make sure you clean the block really well after getting it back,as hot tanking isn't going to get all the crap out of the various orifices.Moroso makes a great kit for about $20 that includes solvent safe wire brushes of various sizes.
There's a ton of tools that come in very handy,but may not be worth the cost for one-time use.Some kind of valvespring compressor(I'm assuming you'll be going into the head?)and a psiton ring compressor will also be needed.

Chris