Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Voltage regulator

Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Voltage regulator

Well, that says that you probably have a wiring problem. That white/blue wire shouldn't be able to turn the ABS unit on, the only thing they have in common is that they both connect to the same gauge cluster power on the other side of the indicator lights. And, if that wire is not where it should be, it is probably preventing the alternator from charging.

When you're seeing the change in voltage, do you have the alternator connector plugged in or not?

Also, if the alternator isn't charging, the battery is going to die just by running the car. Are you sure there is actually another power drain, or do you think that it's just not getting charged?

This is an intriguing problem, but I'm just about at the end of my ability to help if this is actually a wiring problem. I can only troubleshoot things that are a known (factory wiring) not an unknown (some other guy's hacked-up wiring).
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

gsrhach has disabled reputation

I dont think it is getting charged .You can leave the car sit with a charged battery for a week and it will start right up. When i see the change in voltage yes the green plug for the alternator is pluged in . The only thing i change between charge readings is i unhook the wire on the fuse box. The one i colored red in the picture .
It may save me alot of time to possibly just replace the dash wiring harness . The engine harness is fine from what i can see .
Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

What color is that wire you're unhooking?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Yea i hear ya man again thank you for your help .
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Its white and i believe like an eight guage wire it screws down into the fuse block under the hood. The port it screws down into is the furthest port away from the firewall
Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Originally Posted by gsrhach
Its white and i believe like an eight guage wire it screws down into the fuse block under the hood. The port it screws down into is the furthest port away from the firewall
Ok, so that tells me that the alternator is probably not getting turned on or something like that, and the difference in voltage is just the difference between no load (disconnected) and whatever the battery voltage is (connected). Why that is you'll have to find out for yourself.

Post your findings when you check things out, I've got to get back to writing my report so I'll check back later.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 AM
gsrhach
Registered Member

My findings . Ok so i went threw and traced the wires coming from the 4 pin connector to the alternator and one found a splice inthe the power lead to the alternator. Second problem was the wire from ABS unit to battery had a break in the wire only thing holding it together was tape . Anywho all of it is fixed now. Hooked up all of the computer to the car and nothing was throwing any codes ABS light turned off . Later turned back on but that was due to the system having air in it .One thing is tho . when i hooked all the wires up and all of that . the car at idle was only putting out 11.6 volts at alternator but the took it out for a drive and the battery light turned off and then the system started charging . now as the car sits at an idle it read 13+ volts
Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Sounds like everything is working properly again?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 AM
gsrhach
Registered Member

Yes the alternator is now charging, coming on when needed . The ABS light did come back on whilt eon the test drive friday night . Unfortunatly it started snowing alot so I parked the car and went on working on another clutch job i have siting in my garage . I will have to hook up and see whats goin on with the ABS im sure the system just needs a good bleed . The car was stripped perviously of various thing . Some of those things consisted of brake lines ,and even tho I put the lines all back on the cat I am sure i did not get all of the air out of the system .