Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

Work spaces in DMV

Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Soundwave.
Autobots detected

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave.
Default Re: Work spaces in DMV

i say maybe contact livingdreamsdc. I know he has a shop here in the centreville area and maybe he'll be willing to do some work with you. Just a shot in the dark
Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM
lumbercis
Registered Member

lumbercis has disabled reputation

Thanks! All suggestions are welcome!

It may just come down to doing the legwork and visiting shops until I can find one that will work something out with me. I'll update the thread if I find anything that might help out others in the same boat.

Still post up if anyone is interested in the shop rental!!

PS: Hachi, can you check that username? livingdreamsdc came up as an invalid user when I searched for it. Thanks!

Last edited by lumbercis; 12-30-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
92EH3
Registered Member

92EH3 has disabled reputation

theres a shop for lease near me. its pretty big it has like 4 bays or something with lifts. its right off of 495 exit 20a

ill take some pictures of it if you want me to

google these coordinates 38.959689,-76.864716

thats the number

Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 PM
lumbercis
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for looking out man! I love this forum!

What I really need now more than a shop, is some guys willing to go in on the shop with me. Got to have the cash before I can get the space!

Of course if anyone comes across any steals, I'd love to hear about them, but keep your ears open for anyone that needs a serious work space and is willing to invest a little bit to get it.

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:21 AM
92EH3
Registered Member

92EH3 has disabled reputation

heres pics of the front.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by NastyNate
I had some friends with the same problem years ago when i lived in Richmond. What they did was rent a warehouse space with plenty of parking room for multiple cars(1000SqF +) and they all worked on their cars in there. Local warehouse space is available if you search enough. Say you get 10 people and the rent is 1705 per month that makes it less than 200 a month per person with utilities...just a thought, but doable if you have a group of people willing to pay and use the space on a regular basis(might have to sign a lease). If you decide to go with it, check local county/city laws before renting though.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...526301980.html
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...522357473.html
Originally Posted by lumbercis
^ I think that's what I'd really like to do. But I would want to keep it small because dealing with 10 people would be a huge hassle. If several people flaked all of a sudden I would need to cover rent until more people could be found.

Does anyone have an idea of what sq footage per car is "enough." 3000sq ft. looks huge from those pictures. I'd be happy with enough space for 2-4 cars and a reasonable amount of space to work on them.

Keep the suggestions coming!!
This is pretty much what me and a few other friends(iPunchBabies on here, being one of them) did at one point where I live in Fredericksburg. Fredericksburg is much more suburban that what youre experiencing, but nonetheless. We rented a 10' by 30'(if I recall correctly) RV storage unit, and worked on our cars in there. Rent per month ran about $358(split three ways). Honestly, paying $120 per person a month isnt as bad as it could be. Even still, having seen some of the suggestions people above have made concerning renting an actual "shop", I concur. That is simply an awesome idea. If I had a little more bank to work with, it would without a doubt be something I would want to do myself. Anyways, good luck whatever you choose to do, and welcome to the forum!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM
awsmjdm
I R DICKBUTT

awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm awsmjdm

hmmm, I am interest. If you find something in the range of $200 per month or less, I might want in. LMK.

Oh and penis.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM
lumbercis
Registered Member

Hey Subie,

Tell me more about these RV storage units. Would I just look up "RV storage?" Or is this a particular size unit in those commercial storage places?

$358 is WAAAY cheaper than the commercial warehouse space I've found. And 10x30 should be more than enough space to do what I need. Plus I wouldn't go bankrupt if somebody flaked and I had to cover their part of the rent for a month.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 PM
lumbercis
Registered Member

okay, So i plan on picking up the car next week and I need to figure out where I'm getting my engine swap done. Since it doesn't seem that there is enough interest in renting warehouse space right now (will possibly do in the future though), I have a couple options.

First is find a self-storage place willing to let me work on the car in the unit. If any of you have done this before and know of a place then let me know.

Second idea is to find a shop willing to rent me a bay. So send me the names of any local shops you have used in the past and I will call them and see what they say.

Third option is to pay a shop to do the swap. I'm going to farm out the wiring to Dr. Tweak/ Phoenix Tuning, so it should be a pretty basic "remove engine, put engine back in" swap. But it would help if the shop in question had some experience with Toyotas. So let me know what shops you think would be able to handle an engine swap on a celica alltrac. I'm also amenable to using "side job" guys, so if there are any experienced hobbyists or off duty techs willing to help me out, let me know.

Thanks guys!