Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

compression for ls turbo?

Old 01-29-2004, 09:01 AM
uptownspeedstar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uptownspeedstar
Default Re: compression for ls turbo?

why sacrifice all your low end torque for daily driving just so you can run 2 more lbs of boost....I dont get it. Plus I was just making a suggestion.Thats what he wanted right?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Greaser
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

its not easy to place a boost level vs. compression comparison. things that change the detonation threshold, cam duration/lift, cam timing, spark timing, fuel control, fuel atomization, combustion chamber temperature, everything that happens in that cylinder head.

my last SR20 motor with 11:1 compression loved 12psi on pump gas. how, i dont know.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:15 PM
CnmyTeg
subie newbie

CnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud ofCnmyTeg has much to be proud of

abacus1 what do you think?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:09 AM
accuracy1
Registered Member

accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1

Where do I start? The reason I sugested that we put 8.8 pistons in your motor is based on this. The shape of the piston is one of the reasons the stock piston is a flat top piston which is good, but to get the #s up we would have to put a slight dome or shave the head to death. A dome piston is not a good thing for boost for the simple fact that it obstructs air flow and also increases the chance for detnation. Which is what all people tuning try to aviod. A dish piston icreases the eff. of the chamber which is what we need. There are so many debates on which is better high comp w/ boost or low/with boost? There is no right or wrong way it has to do with the limits of what you have. Pump gas/ what is the limit? If you took the same motor put domes in it tuned to to the best that we could/ turned up the boost until it blew up because of detnation/ how much power would it make at what boost level? the other motor dish pistons same deal / which one would make more i feel that the lower comp. will because the chamber is more eff. that it will be able to take more boost with less chance of det. race gas is a different story it burns slower reducing the chance for det. helping with elevated cyl pressure due to high comp. So in your case being a street motor i think we should go with lower comp. There is like i said so many debates on this that there is no right or wrong way. You asked for a safe but powerful motor and knowing your set up it is what you are going to get. hope this helps
Old 01-31-2004, 11:12 AM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

word.......alot more in depth information.........
Old 01-31-2004, 11:30 AM
boostjunkie
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

im going 9:1 in my baby...

Old 01-31-2004, 01:12 PM
MORE IMPATIENT
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if i ever go turbo again my shit will be around 9:8......